1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX Installation and Review

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Techsan, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Feb 25, 2019 at 9:04 PM
    xenonsupra

xenonsupra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Pro MT, 1994 Supra TT 6spd
    He started around $350 I think. We finally agreed on $250 for headunit, maestro + programming, and a new mic in the factory location. At one of the highest rated shops in town. I probably could’ve shopped around and saved a little bit it wasn’t worth the time or energy and this shop came well recommended. Everything is always more expensive in SoCal too...

Totall4285[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 2, 2019 at 8:01 PM
    Skawdee

Skawdee SKOL Vikings!

Member:
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD-Offroad, 6-spd Man.
    Old Man Emu 2.5” Full Suspension Lift w/ Wheeler's Off-Road Progressive Leaf Pack JBA Upper Control Arms Moog Lower Control Arms Victory4x4 Strike Front Bumper w/ Grill Tubing Morimoto XB Headlights Baja Designs Squadron Sport Amber Fog LED’s Baja Designs 20” White LED Light Bar Over-sized BFG All-Terrain Tires K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter Pioneer AVIC-W8400 Head Unit Apple TV Wireless Phone Charging Pad Bed rail mounting with ax, shovel, MaxTrax Bed Extender
    I have a 2009 Tacoma, TRD Off-Road, 6-speed manual, w/ JBL, Satellite, Reverse Camera, Bluetooth from the factory. I purchased the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX with Maestro RR and T01 harness. For the most part, I have everything wired, but haven't completed the truck side of the wiring (2xUSB's, extend the USB for the RR interface to the glovebox to update firmware when needed, AUX cable, GPS, etc.

I have 4 issues:

1) Leftover connectors. I'm at the point where I have the HU (headunit) in the truck and the T01 harness plugged into the factory harness. My question is, why am I left with 2 multipin connectors on the T01 and 1 connector on the truck's harness? The 1 that is left on the truck's harness is an 8-pin connector. Also left in a blue connector, but I'm assuming that's the factory satellite antenna, which cannot be reused. My Sat antenna does not have GPS built in, so will need to use the GPS antenna that came with the Pioneer instead of adapting that blue connector into the green GPS port of the HU.

[​IMG]

2) Wiring the camera. From the T01 harness, I have 4 bare wires that the instructions say to wire into the truck's camera wiring. Where do these need to wire into so that I can have the image in the rearview mirror like normal and also display on the HU? In addition, I'd like to be able to select the backup camera source and view the tailgate cam while driving and not have to be in reverse.

Driver kickpanel [​IMG]
    Camera harness wiring [​IMG]

3) I updated the firmware on the RR module to the latest version for the 2005-2011 Tacoma w/ JBL, "ADS-RR(SR)-TOY01-DS (512) (3.1), Revision Date: Friday, February 15, 2019". However, when I tested the systems, the next track and volume buttons are reversed. So when I press the volume, it skips to the next station or track and when I press the next track buttons, it controls the volume. Also, is it possible to be able to "ramp" the volume up and down while holding those buttons so that we don't have to press them a bunch of times? I realize this would get rid of the dual function (press-and-hold) feature for those buttons, but it'd be nice to have the option. Afterall, the stock setup allowed this volume ramp ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4) AUX IN. I read in the install instructions, Page 3: "Insert the Audio cable into the iDatalink 3.5 mm audio jack of the aftermarket radio.
    NOTE: In Pioneer radios: plug Audio cable in auxiliary input of
    the radio.

http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RR-TOY/ADS-RR(SR)-TOY01-DS-IG-EN_20181116.pdf

[​IMG]

What does this audio input do or allow through the RR? I know that the AUX IN is a female TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) 3.5mm jack, which also allows for video when the input is selected on the HU. And I don't want to get rid of that option if I can help it.

Thanks for the help, folks! I hope the Imgur pictures/links work on this post. I've never really use it before. If not, please let me know and I'll figure it out. I hope I can get some answers tonight or tomorrow as I'd like to get this thing installed this weekend. Thanks again!

Scott

PS ~ One thing I'm curious about; can I run a USB extender from the RR mini USB port to an accessible place to flash the firmware without having to take the HU out?

[​IMG]

3. Mar 8, 2019 at 4:38 AM
    kanfoush

kanfoush Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab
    I am going to be installing a W8400 into my 2019 Tacoma Sport (no JBL) this weekend. The HU and the T02 harness are coming in today and I had them shipped to work so I could start assembling the harness during lunch.

I had a couple few questions that I was hoping you guys could answer;

1) Did you make the harness as long as it could be or did you shorten the pigtails at all so there was less wire to stuff in the dash?

2) The Maestro RR sheet says not to use the OBD2 connector. Does the OBD2 data come in through the T02 harness when it is connected to the truck harness?

3) When I install into the truck is there a good place to secure the Maestro RR or did you just stuff it in there?

I installed a 2330NEX into my gen2 so I am not expecting any real issues.

Is there anything that is poorly documented that might trip me up or do you have any words of advice if you have done this install? (I did order the GPS antenna adapter and read to hook up the white connector)

Thanks in advance!

Dan

4. Mar 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM
    CoastieRon

CoastieRon Hammocking Fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    Interested in this same question.

Also, the unit is on sale right now, $500 off ($699.99) at the Crutch

Totall4285 likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    That's where I bought mine. It went from $899 to $699 two days ago because the W8500NEX is coming out.

The only thing not listed on the Crutchfield site that I found was the iDatalink ACC-SAT-TO2 adapter to use your factory GPS antenna (if your truck has one) if you don't want to use the GPS antenna that comes with the W8400.

6. Mar 8, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    Techsan

Techsan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBPDC

7. Mar 8, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    Totall4285

Totall4285 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Harbor, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for posting price drop. I bought mine last week at $899. Called crutchfield a couple minutes ago and they said they have a 60 day price drop match. So I'm getting a $200 refund. That's awesome of crutchfield to do.

CoastieRon likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Nice!

Got my harness made up and my Maestro Flashed. Hopefully the rest goes as easy as that went.

I am doing the Subaru tweeter swap and also the speaker swap.

9. Mar 8, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Got the w8400 installed and the tweeter upgrade done in about 5 hours. Really like the radio the little bit I played with it. I am glad I went for the w8400 over the w4400 just for the screen! The glass capacitive screen looks and works much nicer then the resistive screen on my previous truck HU (2330NEX).

Wireless Carplay is really nice, especially with the truck already having the wireless charging.

Digging into the speaker upgrades now. :)

10. Mar 8, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
  11. Mar 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Techsan

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBPDC
  12. Mar 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    I am 99% sure I did. If you push the door panel over the speaker is there any flex at all ? It’s very close but the door panel is definitely contacting the speaker.

13. Mar 8, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    Techsan

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBPDC
    Been a while, but I don’t recall any flexing or contact.

14. Mar 8, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Just to followup, I put the stock speaker and the Kicker speaker/adapter face down on the bench and measured from the bench to the back of the mounting tabs which would be the installed height on the door.

Stock speaker: 1.276”
    Aftermarket: 1.456”

I will need to find a thinner adapter or trim down the 3/8” high oval ring on the backside of the door speaker grill.

15. Mar 9, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    CoastieRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    And the price went back up to $899.99.

16. Mar 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    kanfoush

Member:
    Grand Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    I finished my install and just wanted to share how I resolved my door panel interference in case others see it. I thought about making a thinner adapter but was concerned the magnet would be pretty close to the window so I decided to trim down the oval plastic ring on the inside of the door panel. I masked the grill off to keep plastic out of it and then trimmed about 1/4” off the ring with a Dremel tool and a thin cutting disk. That resolved my interference issue and I don’t feel compromised the door panel at all.

E86B58B3-89EC-4CA5-B0AE-204E159BB60E.jpg

My final install was an Avic-w8400 with a Maestro RR module. I did the Subaru tweeter upgrade and installed Kicker 43DSC69304 speakers in the front doors and Kicker 43DSC6704 speakers in the Access cab doors. Note that the speaker part numbers others referred to have been superceeded according to Crutchfield and these are the ones they recommended for the W8400 without a separate amplifier. It really sounds GREAT, clear and loud.

I made it a month with my new truck and the Entune Premium stereo that came with the truck, I just couldn’t get used to it and missed the Carplay I had in my last Tacoma. So happy with the final result!

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread the install was pretty straightforward!

Totall4285 likes this.
  17. Mar 11, 2019 at 5:48 AM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
    Lol too many people were buying them

18. Mar 11, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    CoastieRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    HAHAHAHA.

I went a different route.

19. Mar 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    Do58

Do58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    coastieron... what did you go with or do?

20. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    CoastieRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    I pm'd you. I don't want to dirty up a Pioneer specific thread.

elduder likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top