1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pisgah trails and dispersed camping?

Discussion in 'South East' started by Vst, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Vst

Vst [OP] IG:@vehiclesupportedtravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kodak, TN
    Vehicle:
    18’ Access cab TRD OFRD 4x4
    Hey guys i live in East Tennessee and was going to head over to the Pisgah area to try and hit some trails and maybe do one night of dispersed camping. Can you guys recommend any trails or camping spots? Ive looked up Hurricane creek but I will be alone and have never done the trail before so not sure about it. I have a stock 3rd gen TRD off road on 33’s. Any other cool trails or camping spots in the area any could recommend would be great. Thanks

2. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    Glockster22

Glockster22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    Ironman lift
    Did you end up going? I've been eyeballing that area as well but haven't gotten a good list of trails yet. I'm sure they are out there, but also curious about your experience.

3. Apr 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    madigan

madigan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner MT
    King Shocks, 3" lift, rock sliders
    It's been a minute since we rode Hurricane Creek but it was a good time! You almost miss the turnoff on 40, keep a close eye. We had some Jeep Cherokees and a Ford Ranger. Halfway through there was a tight left hand over a big rock that really helped having spotters along but other than that it's mostly forest road if I remember right. You pop out in beautiful farm land, then take the road back down to the next exit west on 40. I feel like we spent about 4 hours out there, a solid afternoon. We went in November, so it was dry and the creek crossing(s?) was low. Maybe time it on a dry week.

For easy dispersed camping: North Mills River, up Wash Creek Road or along Yellow Gap Road. Bring your mountain bike, too : ) You can connect some forest roads, like taking Yellow Gap over to 276 and keep camping, hiking from there. Never too far from an Ingles (grocery) or Mills River or Brevard for food trucks/brews.

This map is awesome for trails, and from a local company: https://www.pisgahmapcompany.com/shop-trail-guides/pisgah-ranger-district

Gosh. Hurricane Creek photos from 2011. Been too long.

enduringsnark likes this.
  4. Apr 28, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport
    Did you know...

Pisgah translates to "mountain" in many/some of the indigenous languages of North America.

So when the early "settlers" asked.. "What mountain is that? The reply "pisgah" was the universal response. "mountain mountain" Ha!

We have a Pisgah state park nearby in New Hampshire, and there is a local ski area on Pisgah mountain here in S. Vt.

Pisgahs are EVERYWHERE ;-)

Products Discussed in

To Top