1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pitt Bulls - the most dangerous dog breed for children

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nd, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Now don't get me wrong I am not defending anyone that has a Pit Bull type breed and allows it to attack another person. Point blank unless someone is in your yard when they aren't supposed to be then the dog has no business attacking a person. I have never and will never tolerate any dog no matter the breed that will bite a person. My sole purpose is to state that it is 100% the owners responsibility. To me it is like trying to say that the sporty cars are bad because more people die in them a year. And my other issue is having good dogs classed with the BYB dogs that are being called Pit Bulls. There is only 1 APBT. Others may be a mix but that's it, and in that lies the issue. Most of these reports are correct in punishing the owner and putting the dogs to sleep but they mislabel the animal.

Thanks for that site!

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    One issue with that site is some of its sources. It is also reffering to Dogsbite.org.
    and relying on info from the media.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't think the genetics of the dog has anything whatsoever to do with it's temperament or instinct?

Also, sporty cars don't think for themselves and then attack people (for whatever the reason may be). And I'm pretty sure they don't have a "kill my passengers and slam into other cars" instinct bred into them. In that case, I agree that it is 100% the owners responsibility.

As far as a technical definition of what is or is not a "pit bull," the US court system (what little bit I've seen on the subject) hasn't appeared to have too much of an issue with that.

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    You are right the court hasn't had much of an issue with it. Because it doesn't matter to them. However what they call pit bulls is attacking people, and that then starts them wanting to ban a specific breed at which time that just put a bunch of dogs into the pit bull category. If they would take into account that it is the short wide and heavy dogs that primarily attack (from my experience) they would see it is a very different animal.
    About the genetics: They play a great role which is my point. The true APBT was bred specifically not to bite humans, especially in extreme situations such as the middle of a heated battle, when the human had to pick up their dog and return it to the corner. Could you imagine picking up your dog in your arms to return it to its corner and it biting you in the face! So when a breeder came across a dog such as this it had to be put down for their own safety.

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:

So you're saying the APBT doesn't share any of the same genetic make up/ temperament as what most people (the court system included) would consider to be a "pit bull?" It's a totally stand alone breed?

That really doesn't go a long way in making them look like a loving, cuddly family pet. Even IF the APBT was bred to not bite a person, why have a dog breed that's been bred to attack and kill other animals (as you described)? A security dog... ok, I can see it. A family pet... no way.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    When it comes down to the death of a person, I would dare say it matters very much to them. I doubt they take the facts of what specific animal did the killing lightly. I kind of doubt the lawyers would either.

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    They do share the same Gene's. However once the APBT became main stream in the 80's everyone had one and tried to make a larger stronger dog by mix breeding, which changed the original dog, thus requiring a new name/breed. Which is why when people say Pit Bull. Some think of a big headed, 100lb dog. But the True APBT is half that size. Dogs now a days are being bred for looks, with less concern for temperament. So to actually find a true APBT is very difficult the 80's was quite some time back and that is alot of breedings to help stray off of course. Have you always lived in NC? If so you should have come across some true APBT's in your time. And you will know what I mean about the short, wide, big headed, 100lb dogs being sold as apbts.

I am not trying to sugar coat anything, they were bred (once upon a time) to fight. At one time Bulls, then other dogs. These dogs used to be left at home with the kids while the wives went to town hence the name the Nanny Dog. Spud McKenzie never bit anyone on the set however Lassie bit nearly everyone.
    The APBT is not a very good guardian dog as it only has aggression towards other animals. Which is exactly why it is a good family dog. They are one of the best dog breeds I have ever owned.

The proof is in the pudding! Every time they say "Pit Bull" they are proving that they aren't concerned. When they state the breed as being a Pit Bull it shows. There is no such breed as Pit Bull. It is the exact same as me saying Hunting dog, there are numerous breeds that fit that category. Say you read in the paper that a hunting dog mauled a kid and tomorrow they are banning all hunting dogs. Then later you find out that the kid had hopped his neighbors fence and cornered their lab and was throwing rocks at him. That how I feel when I read about another pit bull attack. Earlier this year a paper read child's toes chewed off by family pit bull! Well I keep tabs on these things and contact the paper and news as well as the local pd to see how the case goes. come to find out the family ferret had chewed 3 toes on an infant's foot. The paper and media never corrected themselves.

8. Sep 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    You think pitts are bad (I do not) you should try a Canaan Corso. It's a 160lb "mastiff" type. Looks like a pit/mastiff cross. All the years Ive worked with vets and dogs, they are the only ones I have seen that were born nasty. I am sure not all are like that but so far, all I have seen are. I have horseshoeing clients who use pits as herding/kid sitting dogs. All are fantastic. You breed nice dogs to nice dogs, you get nice puppies, and vice versa.

9. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.

lmao, were good....

Products Discussed in

To Top