1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning a NM Trip in May 2016

Discussion in 'South West' started by jtweezy, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Apr 13, 2016 at 6:44 AM
    jtweezy

jtweezy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Hey all, a friend and I are starting to plan out a trip to NM in May and see if it's possible for us. I've been looking through some threads here and found some trails that I want to do, but I need help from some locals (or anyone who has been in the area before) to know what I should expect. The most "off roading" I've done is driving around flood washed, soggy land going hunting and soft sand on the beach. No real "trail" experience, sadly. We're still in the alpha phases of planning, so I know there are gaps to fill in, but here are the trip parameters so far...

Duration
    7-10 days total (Note: departing from central Texas)
    • It will likely take 1 1/2 days to get out there and the same to get back. Either stop along the way for a night, or bust ass and nap upon arrival.

Trails/Destinations
    The list so far (will keep updating)
    • Goose Lake Jeep Trail
    • Greenie Peak
    • Wheeler Peak
    • Jemez Springs/Falls Park
    • Any suggestions?
    I'm taking the Tacoma (obviously), stock 2014 TRD OR DCSB with full OME lift. It's STOCK. So far, I've never gotten stuck in mud or sand where I've taken it, but that's all subjective. How are these trails as far as difficulty with my truck?

Shelter/Lodging
    Will be a mix of old-school, tent-on-ground camping and hotel/motel to refresh and feel human again. Haven't planned this one completely out, but it looks like camping in National Forests is an option. Jemez looks like it has a couple of campgrounds. We may base-camp it from a hotel/motel and make day trips, still very much up in the air.
    What are some good areas to camp?

Gear
    Here's where I need a good bit of help. My budget is not unlimited for this trip, but I don't want to blindly head out there and get myself into trouble. I would love get a bumper/winch and every ARB branded recovery item with some MaxTrax, but it's not gonna happen this year.

These are the things I've thought of
    • Hi-Lift + Lift Mate (to lift by the wheels -- no armor, nothing to lift from on stock frame)
      • I figure I can lift a dug-in wheel, fill the hole and lower it back down
    • Air compressor (I have a regular Craftsman emergency one. It takes a while, but it works.)
    • Shovel
    • Hitch receiver shackle mount
    • 2 - 3/4" D-ring shackles
    • 30' ARB recovery strap (the orange snatch strap) - 17,500 or 24,000 LBS?
      • The shackles/mount/strap are more for if I get stuck and can find someone to pull me
    • Tools (sockets, wrenches, wheel chocks, jack stands)
    • Extra fluids (brake fluid, PS fluid, motor oil, gear oil)
    • 5-10 gallons of extra fuel
    What else do I absolutely need?
    * I've left out things like camping gear, normal outdoor emergency gear, cooler, etc. I'm not a stranger to the outdoors, but I'm new to the "overlanding" type travel.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Apr 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    I should add...

The purposes of the trip are to start learning about off roading/overlanding, see some great views (central Texas is relatively flat), and get some great pictures. Would also like to hang out in a few cities/towns and see/eat/hear something different than home.

3. Apr 14, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    I have too many Toyotas...
    Everything... and a bag of Cheetos.
    I'm inclined to give you some help, but won't have time to offer a well written response until sometime next week.

That being said, the first thing I will tell you is that based on your intended destinations, you're overthinking it. Second, the first three destinations on your list will not be accessible in May.

4. Apr 15, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Bah! I was watching the national weather this morning and it occurred to me that some of these places may still be closed. Trip won't be till later, so I'm looking forward to your detailed response. After reading more about the trails, it sounds like a few are pretty touristy and not as remote as I imagined at first.

I was originally wanting to make it a consistently moving trip, but now I'm thinking base out of a nearby town/city and make 1-2 day trips out and back. This is the first time (obviously) I've planned something like this, so I'm looking for expertise from you guys.

5. Apr 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    Jmad1997

Jmad1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD sport long bed 6" fab tech lift
    Your best bet would probably be to setup camp and do the day trips

6. Apr 17, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Any particular reason why?

7. Apr 17, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    Jmad1997

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If your going to be using a ground tent would be to rocky 90% of the trails to set up a tent and a hassle to set up and take down on the trail and NM has a lot of fire restrictions can't go wrong with a campground in jemez do some fishing and trials up that way

8. Apr 17, 2016 at 3:52 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Gotcha. Thanks, I didn't think about the ground condition. Saw a bunch of pictures of people with ground tents, so I figured it'd be doable.

9. Apr 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM
    Jmad1997

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not to sure on the other trails but I would stick to the camp grounds in Jemez you can be right next to the river and make your way up to camp next to Fenton lake tons of camp sites out there trails are close as well

10. Apr 17, 2016 at 3:59 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Cool, I'll look up Fenton Lake. That sounds like exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Maybe I should stick to campgrounds in general and not so much dispersed camping.

11. Apr 17, 2016 at 4:16 PM
    Jmad1997

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They also have some hot springs and cliff jumping look up the Holman tunnels as well that's a cool photo oppurtunity

12. Apr 17, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    Jmad1997

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gilman tunnels my bad

13. Apr 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    You, sir, are awesome. Those tunnels are pretty bad ass, I'll definitely add that to the list. Don't get stuff like that in central TX.

14. Apr 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    Jmad1997

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It's about ten mins off the main road definitely worth a stop

15. Apr 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    First, if you're coming into the state from that direction (Central Texas, ie Austin), I would consider making a few stops in southern NM to break up your drive. Look into visiting:

-Carlsbad Caverns National Park
    -White Sands National Monument

Those two aren't really 4 wheeling destinations, but both are very scenic and have some very cool features that you won't see anywhere else. Absolutely worth the time, and if you hit Carlsbad first, you can find camping all over the Lincoln National Forest near Cloudcroft, which is on the way to White Sands.

Day 1... Carlsbad, overnight camp in Lincoln NF

Day 2... White Sands.

After Day 2, I would head north toward Ruidoso, and again find some public camping in the NF surrounding Ruidoso. Google is your friend...

Day 3.. I would stay off the main drag (I-25... it's really a boring drive from S>N). Instead, think about heading NW toward Carrizozo and check out the Valley of Fires Recreation Area. If you've never seen volcanic activity, it will blow your mind. Spend an hour or two checking out the miles and miles of ancient lava flows, then backtrack to Carrizozo, grab lunch and head north on 54, then left on 54, which turns into NM14. Take that north to Mountainair and spend the afternoon checking out the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument... again, google.

When you're done, you can spend night 3 camped in one of the campgrounds found on the backside of the Manzano mountains a short drive to the north. Fourth of July CG is nice, but if you want to live it up, drive to the top of Capilla Peak and camp at almost 10K feet. The drive up is pretty awesome, too.

Day 4... Head north to 337, and follow it north to I-40, then continue north to Sandia Park and take a drive up to Sandia Crest. The drive is all paved, but has wicked views, and you can look down on ABQ without getting caught up in the traffic. From there, continue down 165 which is dirt and could be considered mild 4-wheeling, into the small town of Placitas. It'll be about lunchtime, so you could grab lunch in Bernalillo, lots of options. From there, take Hwy 550 NW to San Ysidro, then head north on Hwy 4 until you pass the school on the left (past all the red rocks and visitor center), and turn left on 485. That will put you on the road to Gilman Tunnels. Drive up to the tunnels, look around, and then continue up the road... which will now become FR 376... until you find a nice camping spot. Dont choose a spot until you cross the bridge over the creek to the right, putting the creek back on your LH side. The valley widens upstream of this spot and there are TONS of nice, flat spots with big views, especially at the top of the valley. If you head north on 376 in the morning, it will spit you out on HWY 126 just east of Fenton Lake and west of the small village of La Cueva.

Day 5... Explore the Jemez. Fenton Lake is okay if you like lots of people, fishing powerbait for stocked trout, day use fees, and a park ranger driving around to keep an eye on you. If you're not into that, then maybe drive by and have a look and call it good.

Beyond Fenton, HWY 126 continues all the way to Cuba and spits you back out on to Hwy 550. 126 is paved for a few miles beyond Fenton, then turns into a fun dirt road with lots to look at. Near the Cuba end, you'll find the turn off to San Gregorio Reservior & Trail, which is an entry point for the San Pedro Parks Wilderness. It's a fun day hike, or if you are prepared for a pack in camp, you could hike up there and camp for the night. If not, there are nice spots for car camping along the road to SG as well.

If you choose to go that route, I would camp near SG, and the following day head north on 550 to other locales.

The other option would be to throw a rock in Fenton, then backtrack to where FR376 crosses 126. 376 continues north of 126 to some nice hot springs. If the gate is open it's a fun drive, and you'll likely have to use 4WD. If not, you can hike it, but I think it's 3-4 miles. Next option would be back down Hwy 4 to Spence Hot Springs, or east on 126 and east on Hwy 4 toward Los Alamos to check out Jemez Falls and maybe hike to McCauley Hot Springs. If you're in Jemez, you have to check out a hot spring. Los Ojos Saloon in Jemez springs is a good stop for food, btw.

That should take up most of the day, so when you're done you could camp at one of the developed campground on the east side... San Antonio, Jemez Falls, Las Conchas, or Redondo.

If I were you I'd stick with the East size of the Jemez and not continue toward Cuba. The reason being is that you'll have to do some backtracking if you go that route to move forward to the next destination.

Day 6... TAOS!!! Wake up in camp, pack up, and head east toward Los Alamos and beyond. Take a second to stop and have a look at the Valle Caldera. You'll know it when you see it. It's basically a huge volcano crater, an you'll be driving through it.

In Los Alamos, look for the government buildings of the LANL... home of the atom bomb.

Take 502 out of Los Alamos, then north on 30 to Espanola, and find your way to Hwy 68 north, which will take you to Taos. You'll end up driving through the Rio Grande Gorge, and you get some killer views once you climb the hill and pop out on the Taos plateau. Seriously, stop and take some pictures. You won't see panoramic views like this in many places from a public highway... far and away one of my favorite views in the state.

If you feel like taking a break for lunch, you can break a left on 570 in Pilar and cruise up to the Taos Junction Bridge for a sandwich and to walk around. Sugars BBQ and Embudo Station Restaurant are good stops for lunch along 68... the latter being pricey.

In Taos, I'd say get a hotel, explore the Plaza and maybe shoot out to the gorge bridge on Hwy 64... it's one of the highest suspension bridges in the US. If you have binoculars you might be able to spot a blood splatter or two from the jumpers (no, really).

Day 7-10... You're in Taos... the options are unlimited for the rest of your trip. The enchanted circle offers lots to see and do and I would leave that research up to you.

That would be my itinerary if I were coming from that direction and had 10 days. It would be a grand tour of NM, and still leave lots of places unexplored should you ever choose to come back.

Regarding your gear list:

These are the things I've thought of
    • Hi-Lift + Lift Mate (to lift by the wheels -- no armor, nothing to lift from on stock frame)
      • I figure I can lift a dug-in wheel, fill the hole and lower it back down
    • Air compressor (I have a regular Craftsman emergency one. It takes a while, but it works.)
    • Shovel
    • Hitch receiver shackle mount
    • 2 - 3/4" D-ring shackles
    • 30' ARB recovery strap (the orange snatch strap) - 17,500 or 24,000 LBS?
      • The shackles/mount/strap are more for if I get stuck and can find someone to pull me
    • Tools (sockets, wrenches, wheel chocks, jack stands)
    • Extra fluids (brake fluid, PS fluid, motor oil, gear oil)
    • 5-10 gallons of extra fuel
    That's plenty for what you're looking at doing. You could probably forego the extra fluids, but maybe bring them just in case. The extra fuel won't be necessary.

Get some good maps... A DeLorme Road Atlas for NM, some BLM maps, etc. They'll be a big help to you in case you choose to improvise while you're here.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    riz_atx, jtweezy[OP] and Jmad1997 like this.
  16. Apr 19, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Thank. You.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to write that all out. After doing some more planning and mapping...I was planning on arriving in Carlsbad and then heading to LNF. And White Sands is on the list (didn't update here).

I'll sit down with your list and Google/Maps and check out your other suggestions. I figure having a 5gal gas can won't hurt. Definitely think I'm gonna stick to established campgrounds and not do so much dispersed camping. I'm not trying to overwhelm myself with planning and executing my first trip of this kind.

Thanks again!

17. Apr 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Do us a favor in return and post some pictures when you get home.

18. Apr 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Definitely will.

19. Apr 19, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    jtweezy

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    @BigFishAllDay What's "the enchanted circle" you're referring to in/near Taos? Sounds like a colloquial term for an area?

20. Apr 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM
    BigFishAllDay

BigFishAllDay And then?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    It's the circle of highway starting in Taos, comprised of Hwy 64 to Eagle Nest, and Hwy 38 to Red River & Questa, and Hwy 522 south back to Taos.

Products Discussed in

To Top