1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning first long camping tow, will it make it?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Shawn14Taco, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jan 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    Shawn14Taco

Shawn14Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB TRDSport
    Pop and Lock tailgate lock
    Hey all. Planning my first long towing trip with my Taco. Going from High Desert, California, to Rocky Mountain National Park. Obviously, a little concerned about towing my trailer up the Rockies. Wondering if it is even capable. Any tips/mods I should carry out prior to the trip?
    Specs:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD, Doublecab, 4.0L
    Factory tow package
    Trailer brake already in place
    Trailer: 2014 Starcraft Launch 15FD
    2500lbs dry weight
    800lbs cargo capacity
    3300lbs GVWR
    I'll be towing the trailer dry, planning on staying at sites with hookups on the way and back, and as minimal weight as a family of 4 can manage.
    Also, any recommendations for campsites and/or points of interest along the way would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Jan 5, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Your truck should do fine. Climbing up those mountain roads in Colorado you’ll be going slow, real slow. I assume you’ve towed your trailer other places so you know your truck capabilities and limitations.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  3. Jan 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    cctk2

cctk2 GLACIERBIRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    NorCal and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '68 FJ40, '16 TRD AC OR A/T WHITE
    Accessories: SnugTop Rebel canopy AVS Window Rain Deflectors TACOMA 6' Bed Mat Weathertech Mud Guards (4) Scanguage (re-installed from the '02) Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller (Chalet A frame pop-up.) Vinyl letter insets for tailgate. Garmin CS60 GPS mounting. Other misc décor in the form of decals.
    My opinion: you're good to go. Not sure whether you have AT or manual, either way, operate your transmittjon. That is, let it gear down and don't worry about going slow.
    I pulled that weight all over the west 1/3 of the country with 2 different Tacomas.
    A 2002 Access cab, SR5 4cyl manual, and my current 2016 TRD Access cab Auto. The 4 cyl did good. #3 gear used a lot. Tho on RARE occassions even #2 gear.
    The '16 I still frequently drop it into #3 even with the AT. 50MPH. Get used to it, and use it.

4. Jan 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    If you are worried get something like a Scangauge II to watch your transmission temperature. Assuming an automatic trans.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    cctk2

cctk2 GLACIERBIRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    NorCal and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '68 FJ40, '16 TRD AC OR A/T WHITE
    Accessories: SnugTop Rebel canopy AVS Window Rain Deflectors TACOMA 6' Bed Mat Weathertech Mud Guards (4) Scanguage (re-installed from the '02) Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller (Chalet A frame pop-up.) Vinyl letter insets for tailgate. Garmin CS60 GPS mounting. Other misc décor in the form of decals.
    Good point. And yes, I did move my Scanguage II over from my '02 to my '16 and got both the tranny temps showing just for peace of mind.

6. Jan 6, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Shawn14Taco

Shawn14Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB TRDSport
    Pop and Lock tailgate lock
    Good tips. Thanks for the info.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Jan 13, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    You should be fine. I've pulled a Casita (about the same weight) all over the Rockies and points west. 4th gear is your friend.

8. Jan 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Lycanistic

Lycanistic Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 BNB
    High flow intake, Kenwood Excelon/amp/subs, add-a-leaf, Hopkins Insight BC, other goodies
    I pull a 19' Roo Hybrid that scales with gear at 4600lbs. My 06 has had zero issues and been up and down the mountains etc. Take your time and it's not a big thing. You know your truck, so listen to it, if it's loading up on the hills drop a gear and ease up on it a bit. It's not how fast you get there, it's getting there and back.

TacoManOne, RolfeMobile and cctk2 like this.
  9. Jan 14, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    I've pulled our 19' Scamp @ 3,500 lbs from NC to the Four Corners region several times. Can't help with suggestions for campgrounds with full hookups but there are some awesome BLM and USFS spots in that area if you could do without electric. Lots of boondocking opportunities but also developed campgrounds with central water, flush or pit toilets and dump stations if you'd feel more comfortable with neighbors. Take your shop/home charger along and top off your camper battery from the Tacoma's inverter while cooking breakfast or supper. LED bulbs, if you don't already have them, will make a big difference in power consumption.

When are you going, how much time do you have, how old are the kids, what activities do y'all enjoy, do you want to offroad any along the way?

If there's a chance you'll be visiting three or more Federal Public Lands that charge an entrance fee (RMNP is $35) within twelve months of this trip, get an Annual Pass for $80.

10. Jan 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Lycanistic

Lycanistic Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 BNB
    High flow intake, Kenwood Excelon/amp/subs, add-a-leaf, Hopkins Insight BC, other goodies
    Forgot about this one, near the end of summer, a friend of our F-150 was in the shop and he needed to get his camper to the dealer. So I hooked up my Taco and delivered it to the dealer for repair and then back to his house. That's a 31' r and with the extras I mentioned, it was a piece of cake. An yes, it is sitting flat with a WD hitch.

MOOD_20191003_170739.jpg

oldirtywalker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top