1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning Lift - but how high and what tires? (pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TruKnight, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    I give up TW, you win!

Well guys, ive resisted for almost two years, but ive caved in and im pondering doing a lift and new tires. I also know next to nothing about either. Ive already read the relevant stickies and several dozen other threads on the topic before posting, so I know enough to realize that I dont know near as much as I need to before I start buying things.

I do however know what I want, and ive collected some pics of it below. What I need to know is, as far as you all can guess, what kind of lift and tires are these guys running? Some are prolly tw members, but I couldnt track down the pics again to find links to build threads. (need to start my own build thread too I guess) So if you see your truck in this list, pm me with the details please!

The first pic is the one that got me thinking. Im the one practically sitting on the ground on the right heh. The others are along the lines of what im looking to build. I like my current rims and wish to keep those btw, just fitted with bigger tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is my first step in drawing up a plan and parts list on what I will eventually buy, but I want to make informed purchases and avoid as many pitfalls as I can before I embark on this.

Basically what I need to know is, based on the sample pics, how high of a lift and what size tires am I looking at needing here?

Thanks much in advance for your input guys.

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    I run OME 886x coils, DAKAR leaf pack, OME shocks all the way around, stock OR rims with Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85/16 tires.

the ride is incredible for a "lifted" truck and I think it looks great. If I didnt do so much highway driving I would upgrade to the BFG KM2s in the same size. there are a couple pics in my gallery.

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Whats your budget? And what will you be doing with your truck? Is the lift for looks or function?

Basically i would break it down like this, there are 3 categories of lifts (easy way to put it with price).

1. The ever popular bilstien 5100's, you can either run them with stock coils (preferrably sport or sr5 coils bc of the softer ride when compressed) or run them with eibach or ome 885x coils. These will get you close to a 3 inch lift but 2.5 inches is mainly what you will achieve. You can add 5100's and an AAL in the back (either 1 leaf or 3 leaf). Pro's: this is more of a "budget" lift is still reliable and aftermarket UCA's are not always required.

2. OME complete lift, a little more expensive but includes everything needed for a 3 inch lift except aftermarket UCA's which most (not all) require to achieve perfect alignment. Paired with the Dakar leaf pack out back and you have a great lift which a ton of guys run with zero problems.

3. Coilovers (King, Fox, Icon are the popular ones) are on the high end of the lift spectrum. They offer heavy springs that handle aftermarket plate bumpers and are adjustable from 0-3.5 inches allowing you get the exact lift you want. Aftermarket UCA's are highly recommended because of the travel you get with CO's. Again pair them with Dakar's or Allpro expo leaf pack and you will have a great lift capable of many things.

Most of the tires looked like they were 265's IMHO i prefer 285's or 33's when you go with a 3 inch lift :D

Im not a "lift" expert i just want to give you an idea of some things that you may not know ask any questions you have and if i cant someone else will answer them.....

Good luck on your lift im happy with mine :D click on my sig for my build

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    You hear about problems after a lift. I went with OME all around and new Dakar leaf packs and like mentioned above I find the ride to be fantastic...... Better than stock. I am 5000miles into my lift and I have had zero issues at all. I am also running duratracs which I fid to be a great tire.

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    rhowell

rhowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    Forgot to mention that I also installed me LR UCA.

6. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    BulletToothTony laid it out pretty well for you... take a listen to what he has posted in here. If you have other questions, plenty of us lifted guys would be more than happy to help. :thumbsup:

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    You obviously haven't driven on a washboarded road....I have the 885's and ome shocks and lets just say its very rough compared to stock. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing because my truck now corners like a sports car but to just say the ride is better than stock isn't right, stiffer would be a better term for me.
    I also have the nitto trail grapplers which adds to the roughness.

8. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Colter... I think you're crazy man. I still don't feel like my rides rougher. I wouldn't necessarily say its smoother, but not much rougher at all

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    MontanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Well if you would venture off the pavement..........just kidding. I will have to ride in your truck to compare.

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    Toycan

Toycan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    trifecta tonneau, bed mat, husky liners, TRD shift knob, Kenwood NAV DVD Dbl Din syst, TRD wheel centre caps, aux backup lights
    I'm with truknight, I want to do this too but just want (hopefully) improve ride over stock. And raise 2-2 1/2 inches maximum and get some rims and tires on, 285's. But I off road very little other then fire access roads, all my driving is highway and tarmac.

11. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    MontanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I'm not trying to say I would rather have stock over ome. I'm trying to point out that the ride will be stiffer and will not ride as smooth. My dads new ford 2500 powerstroke rides smoother than my truck but it feels like every turn your going to tip over due to the leaning. With the ome there is no lean when corning which I really enjoy cause I like to pretend I'm driving a car.

12. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    EwwFishTaco

EwwFishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New Albany, IN
    Vehicle:
    '11 Reg.Cab 4x4 5-speed
    UWS nerf bars, OEM bed mat, OEM skid plate, CravenSpeed stubby antenna, AFE ProDry drop-in filter
    #3 and #7 are clean! Love that look.

13. Jun 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    looks like you're interested in a 3" kit, look up OME suspension and the toytec ultimate lift kit (toytec ULK), both are top of the line suspension systems, if you really want to spend big bucks, look into Icon or Fox

edit: I'm sure you know since you've done some research, but just in case, if you want it done right and minimize your potential for problems, stay away from coil spacers, rear blocks, and body lifts

14. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    So is 3" the target lift im looking at then? Is that what the tacos in the pics have? Ive packed alot of questions into this reply, so bear with me.

My budget is to save up as much as I need first, but I would like to keep the whole thing, lift tires and everything under 2k total cost. So I could use a ballpark estimate of what im looking at.

I do prolly 93% city driving for work on errands, but the last part of the road to get back to work is kinda like an offroad dirt and gravel course itself. I dont really go on trips specifically to offroad and climb rocks or dunes or anything like that tho.

So I would say the lift would be mostly for looks, but I would like some function in it if I should become more adventurous in the future. I dont really want to make the ride rougher than it is now but keep it at least the same, but I get it, its a truck not a cadillac. As long as I cant tell the difference on the pavement ill be fine with it I think.

Thanks to my research yesterday I comprehend most of your terminology. Option 2 sounds good I think. Option 3 would prolly be overkill, in several ways, for my needs I think? I know the most about option 1 since thats what the majority of the treads I read dealt with, but I didnt know if it would provide the amount of lift that I wanted since it maxes out at 2-2.5".

My setup atm is a stock 4x2 sport, I think the bed load is rated at 300lbs. Would the Dakar's up that load capacity any?

Can I get some links to product descriptions of the OME, UCA and Dakar things?

Also, how do 265, 285 and 33 tires differ? Some pics and links would be helpful in that area, or mabye categorize my pics from 1-7 of who has what?

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17 I see in BTT's build thread look pretty good. Is that on a 3" lift and is that what im seeing in the pic below?

[​IMG]

What would the tires in this pic here be an example of?

[​IMG]

What size tires are on my truck now btw? I should know that, but I confess, I dont. What ive read says the rim is 17" tho, is that right?

Im starting to have a look thru the build threads also, but its alot to go thru.

I appreciate all the replies and help guys. :)

15. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    3.5 inches, put it on 33 or 34 inch 285s. Make sure you use extended travel C/Os and uniball UCAs for this, otherwise drop the lift height down to 3".

If you want to know what's on your truck now, look it up. You're going to be doing a LOT of looking things up once you venture into the world of modifying, so now is as good as any time to get practice.

16. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    If 2 grand is your budget i would suggest going the ome route, if you dont haul alot you could get away with an AAL (I love my 3 leaf icon AAL) and save money on the Dakar's. Remember you might need UCA's LightRacing makes a good set for around 399 i believe....

The tires on the blue truck look like 265's.....

Scroll up to the top of the page and click on "Mods and Tutorials" then look at the bottom at Tire size calculator..... You will see that 285's arent a true 33 they are 32.71 inch tire. You put a 33x12.5x17 by a 285-70-17 and the 33 with look alot bigger....

Also the white truck (mine :D) is running coilovers i have them set at 2.75.....

17. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    I run stock UCAs and my alignment is fine, tires are wearing like normal. So I would wait on buying UCAs

18. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Depends on tire brand. Some brands 285s are greater than 33" in circumference.

Pitbull Rocker 35s are a good 36" around in real world measurements. Interco TSL bias plys measure about 35.5x12x17 for a tire sold as 36x12.5x17.

Tire width also changes depending on the width of the wheel it is mounted on, and air pressure will alter both tire width and height.

Bottom line: There is some variation. Doing thorough homework is recommended.

ಠ_ಠ

19. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:

True you are correct

20. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Based on the pictures you've posted it looks to me like you just need a scooped hood and you're all set. :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top