1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plasti dip

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Doomstacoma, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Jul 5, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    Doomstacoma

Doomstacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    K & N air filter, Ipod adapter
    A coworker turned me on to this. I have a white 2006 4x4 Taco. The front bumper was peppered with bug stains and rock dings that would not rub out. Spray plasti dip to the rescue. It matched the color(lucky) and looks great. When it looks bad peel it off and do again. Mild soap and a soft brush to keep it clean.

2. Jul 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    VandalTaco

VandalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Moscow/Idaho falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD SPORT
    OME 887 lift, 16" XD addicts, 285 duratracs, leather seats, badass JL/Focal stereo
  3. Jul 6, 2015 at 7:04 AM
    marshall765

marshall765 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    I"m done with plasti-dip. Its fun for a bit.
    Its more of a phase! lol.

kpla51 likes this.
  4. Jul 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM
    kpla51

kpla51 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Campbell
    Other companies are trying to hop on board now. Rustoleum now has its "Peel Coat" they sell at auto zone. Plasti dip was fun but looked shitty after a while and sometimes was a pain to remove.

5. Jul 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    marshall765

marshall765 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    Everyone told me how easy it was to remove. I still have that shit in my factory wheels after a few hours of scrubbing and a pressure washer. I used a whole large can of WD-40. What a toxic disaster in my driveway.

It was fun, and I enjoyed it, but I wont do it again. My opinion.

6. Jul 6, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    kpla51

kpla51 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Campbell
    If you want I can look in my garage. I bought this product from the store that removes latex paint and is safe on regular paint. I sprayed that on the plastic dip and wiped it off and on hard spots the pressure washer took it off. Good product if you plastic dip often or do too thin of a coat.

7. Jul 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    VandalTaco

VandalTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Moscow/Idaho falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD SPORT
    OME 887 lift, 16" XD addicts, 285 duratracs, leather seats, badass JL/Focal stereo
    I think it works great for badges. I also did my valence and it has held up nicely for over a year now. I'll only ever use it for small jobs. I don't think I would ever do wheels or any paint on the truck. Some people do their entire truck...that would scare the shit out of me

8. Jul 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I did it to my mirrors. I had color matched silver and they were fading. Black matched my door handles, badges, and bumpers so it looks great. It's almost been a year and the 7 coats I put on look exactly the same as the day I first sprayed it. My badges are starting to chip away and show chrome through so I'll take them off and paint them soon.

I'll do the same with the mirrors. When it starts to look bad, I'll get some real paint and do the job right. It's nice to be able to do something that isn't permanent though.

9. Jul 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM
    FJ to Taco

FJ to Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Lacey, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road,Snugtop Rebel
    Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 885's and OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Packs. Snugtop Rebel, pet screens,front slider drop down window. WeatherTech mats. Interior LEDS
    I have done my FJ Cruiser in 2010 to this day (sons FJ now) it still looks good. It will peel off if you do not like it . I just did my Taco wheels. grill surround last week. I did mt badges 3 weeks ago. 4 or 5 coats on the wheels and you should be good to go.

Taco black Grill.jpg

10. Jul 6, 2015 at 1:04 PM
    Loganww

Loganww Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 Access-Cab Tacoma prerunner SR5
    Interior: Alpine Type E speakers (all around) Alpine Head Unit Alpine 500 Watt amp + type S Sub W/ DIY custom enclosure Exterior: Plasti Dip Grille, badges, rear bumper, rims BFG ATKO2's Morimotto Retrofit +BHLM Custom exhaust with Flowmaster muffler Leer Camper Shell
    I've done everything on my truck that was chrome, I've gotten great results with actual plasti dip, but did the wheels with the rustoleum stuff(it was on sale) and I got to say I am not nearly as happy. I also used the rusoleum on my friends M3(badges grille and rims) and it worked much better. I think it works well on small stuff but tightens up and peels off of larger surfaces such as the stock rims on a 2008 Pre runner. Long story short, go with Plasi dip. I can post pics ofmy truck if you want.

Products Discussed in

To Top