1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plate bumper responsibility...

Discussion in 'Armor' started by GHOST SHIP, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP [OP] hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    First off, my truck is my daily driver and I also use it for work which causes me to drive all throughout most of Southern California throughout the day in all kinds of traffic and areas. I also have a @Pelfreybilt bumper installed and I love it. As I've experienced a few close calls with people cutting me off in traffic, a thought occurred to me that I believe is worth sharing. I fantasized about plowing into the BMW that cut me off in traffic today just so I could knock the latte out of one hand or the cell phone out of his other. Whether he knows it or not, I know I could do massive damage to his car while perhaps barely scratching the powdercoat on my plate bumper (nothing a little spray paint can't fix). It made me think about the responsibility we have as owners of these trucks outfitted with armor to be better drivers. While it's fun to say that "people better get out of my way", we should also consider that we could really do some damage to other cars and potentially hurt people in car accidents. I think we should realize that with these bumpers we are also installing the power to affect people's lives in a huge way. I've been the victim of another driver's stupidity before (motorcycle accident) and that jackass probably doesn't think twice about me today, but every time it gets cold and my broken bones start to ache I can't help but see his stupid face and think about how my life has changed. I don't mean to rant, but please just watch out for eachother.

That is all...

2. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I think that ever since I got steel bumpers, that I've been a much more cautious driver. I tapped a BMW with my rear bumper backing out of a spot when I misjudged my size and I caused 4 grand in damage at .5 mph... Definitely makes you want to be a bit more careful.

crisanalex, ckblum and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM
    rottenpixies

rottenpixies Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4
    This is my concern with armor. I worry if insurance will try to fight claims if we have modded body armor that caused more damage than the actual car that they insured with of stock

4. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    OzzytheJack

OzzytheJack Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Working on it.
    I agree with the sentiment. The flip side of this is having a plate bumper attached securely to the frame of the truck with little yield. A simple collision could be transmitted to the frame of the truck potentially causing more serious damage that the stock bumper set up.

Doogz, libagui and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  5. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    This exact thought comes to my mind quite frequently OP. You aren't alone and I feel a huge burden in responsibility to drive more cautiously to not only avoid hitting other people, but also to prevent injury or possibly something worse to the other drivers out there.

JohnNP and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Definitely a concern. That being said, I recently was in an accident. Because I had my plate bumper the majority of the damage went into the vehicle in front of me. Insurance will have to pay to fix it. It was an old ford ranger. Had my truck not be equipped with the plate bumper I think the bed of his truck would have won against all the plastic on the front of a stock tacoma.

Even if his truck was considered a total loss I think the damage to my front end would have been more in costs than to replace his entire vehicle. Not like this in every case but in mine I bet the insurance was glad.

That said it was an idiot mistake on my part and I definitely agree that extra caution is needed.

Dirty Harry and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  7. Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    I haven't gotten my Pelfreybilt yet and won't for a couple months still. But I think about this daily. :)

I was backing my DCLB beast out of a tight parking space yesterday and was thinking about what the corner of the Pelfreybilt would do if I scraped it along the back edge of a car while backing out.

The reality is any modifcation to the vehicle changes the dynamics to some degree. In a major impact you might see less damage top side (the bumper may have scratches) but that energy does pass through the frame. So it could cause major frame damage without having the "crumple zone" front plastic bumper setup.

But, since your impact is all steel (bumper and frame) the damage you'd do to someone else's vehicle could be incredible.

However, low impacts like deer would probably cause very little, if any, damage to your vehicle - meanwhile causing severe trauma to said deer.

My hope would be that the big plate steel bumper would make OTHERS think twice about cutting me off for their own sake. I know I certainly notice big trucks with steel bumpers and stay away from them. But, that's because I'm smart enough to pay attention to things like that instead of being absorbed in my own selfish world.

8. Dec 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    I should add that only one thing prevents vehicle collisions. Paying attention. When my father taught me to drive one thing resonated with me that has stuck forever. Assume that everyone else on the road is an idiot, will run the stop light/sign, won't signal their intent to turn, etc. If you assume every vehicle on the road may present a threat you'll nearly always be prepared to deal with that threat if and when it occurs. I'm not talking paranoia. But when I approach an intersection I assume the car approaching the stop sign from a side street isn't going to stop and prepare myself to take evasive action if need be. Can't tell you how many times I've changed lanes to avoid someone who stopped beyond the stop sign itself.

9. Dec 8, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    My father had the same advice: "everyone is an idiot". But he also added that "you're not driving a car, you're aiming a weapon". Well I have since upgraded and reinforced my "weapon" and I do my best not to hurt people. I think we look out for other modded trucks because it is something that we are involved with personally, but some people just don't get it. Plate bumpers and lightbars all staring them down in their rearview mirrors might as well be a "Baby on board" sticker.

10. Dec 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM
    rottenpixies

rottenpixies Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4
    I agree. Driving my motorcycle is what really taught me to drive defensively. Doing so has kept me accident free on my motorcycle and my car for going on 10 years. Avoided tons of fender benders by always checking my rear mirror when coming to a stop, especially in heavy traffic.

11. Dec 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    My humble 5-lug slug saw the addition of armor front and rear this past summer. It doesn't see the off-road - ever - except to drag and drop an ATV as a toy-hauler on the weekends, and commuting in a very dense, over-capacity inter-urban weekday trial by fire. My primary concern, was my own safety, in an environment filled with idiot risk-takers and the generally clueless. After a series of near-misses, I'd had enough, and the armor went on. My peace of mind in the case of an eventuality (accident free since '99), semi-restored.

I am not an aggressive driver, nor passive/incompetent. I am an assertive, yet defensive driver. The armor visibly reminds me to keep a bit of distance back. I have noted an improvement in behavior of aggressive motorists diving for a 3/4 spot in front of me, in congested areas. I haven't been love-tapped from the rear since the addition of the rear bumper and hi-viz cautionary tape.. something is working.

In the end, given an accident scenario, it's me and my brittle bones that i've got concern for first. Sorry for your luck.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  12. Dec 31, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Reviving this only because the new year is upon us and I hope everyone stays safe out there tonight.

13. Nov 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Bumping this for the holidays. Stay safe out there guys. Designate a driver and get home safe.

SixthSnail and Admiral_Akbar like this.
  14. Nov 22, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    kystnTRD

kystnTRD Ramblin Man

Member:
    NW Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 6MT
    Never saw this post before...thanks for bumping it O.P. It's an interesting perspective

GHOST SHIP[OP] likes this.
  15. Nov 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    Nice bump-up - Two years down the road, i still have the armor - I am collision free, and i am happy with the results of the armor giving more aggressive drivers a moment's pause before they've gone ahead and done something stupid.

Be safe, everyone.

ROCdermody and GHOST SHIP[OP] like this.
  16. Dec 7, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I think most people are forgetting something kind of important with regards to modern Tacoma "bumpers".

That plastic thing in front of your trucks is NOT the bumper, it's simply a piece of plastic meant to look nice and provide some aerodynamics. The bumper is that metal thing behind that piece of plastic.

So, while an aftermarket bumper prevents damage to what otherwise would have been a thin piece of plastic, the car you are hitting is STILL being impacted by a large, mostly incompressible, metal object: your truck.

Mostly what aftermarket bumpers provide is protection from damage to YOUR vehicle. The added weight from a plate bumper is not even 2% of the overall weight of the truck. The weight (i.e. inertia) of your vehicle is what causes the most damage to the other vehicle.

So, if you want to prevent people from getting hurt from you hitting them, you have 2 choices:

1) don't hit them
    2) drive a smaller car

stickyTaco likes this.
  17. Dec 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    I support background checks for bumpers.
    :thumbsup:

SLeeper512 likes this.
  18. Dec 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    GHOST SHIP

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    "Assault bumpers"

19. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    rlx02

rlx02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    It's not just plate bumpers, it's just the nature of german cars too. I got backed into at .5 mph in my previous car by a honda pilot and it caused 11k in damage to my c55 amg.

20. Jan 8, 2018 at 11:34 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    at low speeds, the other car is going to get more damage

at high speeds, you with the plate bumper are more likely to die, not the
    guy you are hitting. your crumple and energy absorbing zones are more compromised
    than the one you are smashing. their crumple zones will work correctly.

up to a point and yes you can invent scenarios to argue this...

but

in general

No one is getting out of either one without busted bones or cuts,

but....that is how it's going down. slow, them.... fast, you.
    maybe

Products Discussed in

To Top