1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plate carrier questions

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by UhOhSpaghettios, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Aug 7, 2022 at 8:30 PM
    UhOhSpaghettios

UhOhSpaghettios [OP] Very unprofessional sender

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 ACLB
    3” Toytec lift 16x9 Method 305 285/75-16 Toyo AT3 Custom exhaust Custom retrofits
    Hey you wonderful peeps, I’m going to start saving up for a plate carrier, and wanted to get some opinions on what setup to run. I’m looking at (1) a Frankenstein build with a T.Rex AC1 paired with some Hailey and Spiritus things, (2) a Crye JPC for a slimmer, more light weight setup, or (3) a Haley thorax kit. The Haley kit is right at the edge of my budget after everything I’d add so it’s my least favorite of the three. I’m also very open to other suggestions on different brands and combos. Thanks!

2. Aug 7, 2022 at 8:34 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    :popcorn:

wilcam47 likes this.
  3. Aug 8, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    MadRussian

MadRussian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR AC
    Main question is how do you plan to use it?
    The AC1 (and other Low Viz carriers) have the elastic sides that double as mag pouches, benefit is you can move mags off the front to the sides for a more discrete fit, draw back is there is little else you can use the sides for. Crye and Haley IMO are designed to be more loaded up with side molle and back panels.

4. Aug 8, 2022 at 8:56 AM
    Redhead fishin

Redhead fishin Active Member

Member:
    If your neighborhood is that bad, I’d spend the $ on a technical.

5. Aug 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    UhOhSpaghettios

UhOhSpaghettios [OP] Very unprofessional sender

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 ACLB
    3” Toytec lift 16x9 Method 305 285/75-16 Toyo AT3 Custom exhaust Custom retrofits
    I live in the suburbs and have a bug out spot in the mountains, so it would need to be able to hold a decent amount of gear but I want to be able to take it off if I need to scramble around in the mountains. Being able to go slick and discreet would be nice but not necessary

6. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:30 AM
    MadRussian

MadRussian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR AC
    Looks like JPC has a built in 3-mag front pouch. If you don't want three mags across the front, then get the Haley with just a molle panel and arrange what ever pouches you want.
    I suggest spending a whole day doing stuff around the house with the PC on and shooting at the range from a vtac wall or something similar. It will show you where the points off discomfort are.

Speedbird likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    DEDAFLO670

DEDAFLO670 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Waipio
    Vehicle:
    15 Trd sport
    First spear, the tube systems cummerbund is a game changer with plate carriers.

8. Sep 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 3.4L 5MT
    Relentless Stealth front + Relentless standard rear plate bumpers w/ D2 cutouts, 2x Rigid D2 floods front + 2x Rigid flush D2 floods rear, BAMF behind-the-grille light bar mount w/ 2x Rigid 6" bar floods, KING coilovers/springs + rear adjuster shocks, Deaver leaf springs, Total Chaos UCAs, BAMF rock sliders, BAMF LCA skids, Relentless front skid, Low-Range Off-Road gas tank skid, Marlin differential plate cover, Marlin E-Locker motor guard, Hawke HD brake pads, Trail Gear steel brake line kit, Marlin HD full clutch assembly, deckplate intake mod + AFE high flow filter, ARB CKMA12, exhaust dumped over rear axle, 32/11.5r15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, American Racing Baja 15x8, Viper alarm + fuel cutoff switch, and more Toyota OEM parts + replacements than I care to list
    I'd pass on the T.Rex PC and check out Defense Mechanisms instead. Just be aware that their PCs are pretty minimalist and run VERY true to plate size, so order accordingly. My other PCs are Velocity Systems with Haley add-ons and I love them because they fit so well, even if they're a tad outdated on their designs. All the companies you're listing are quality though, so you shouldn't have any issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top