1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help, got a virus and lost everything on pc!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Toyota Tech31, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 [OP] Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Do we have any computer people out there, i need HELP!:confused:

Yesterday i picked up a virus (trojan) that installed a malware virus (?) that was trying to get me to purchase something to help clean the pc. My laptop kept shutting off or all kinds of warnings and junk kept popping up.

I was able to get to AVG and download their free software and cleared my laptop of all that junk :), NOW, i have no programs, no personal stuff (pics/music/libraries) and cant figure out how to get them back. I downloaded Firefox so i can get on the web with ease.

How do i get all my stuff back??? Or am i screwed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
  3. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    so your desktop is empty and all icon are gone from the start menu?

If this is the case, the malware set them all to hidden. You can download an application called "unhide.exe" Run this. It will take a long time, as it has to touch every file.

Also, you might want to download e-set antivurus, as it does a preboot scan, and will dig out alot of the malware.

Good luck

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Very cool, thanks for the info, gonna start the "unhide" now.

5. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    jrd and jamm are right. Your stuff isnt gone, it's just hidden. seen that on some laptops in our district. pretty easy to fix really.

6. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    When you click on start do you see anything. If nothing shows up the malware is still present or could be hidden. boot into safe mode

To start the computer in safe mode

You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.
    Click Start and then click Shut Down.
    In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
    As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
    On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
    First thing is backup all documents and pics to a flash drive

Download a program called malwarebytes at malwarebytes.org run it.

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    If you would like, I can jump on your desktop and see if I can uncover some stuff, not making promises but I could at least take a look.

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    It has been a pain so far, for me at least, i fix cars not computers. Luckily i was set on getting to avg and kept pushing it, finally let me download it and cleared out all the virus crap, now running unhide to find all my stuff.

Question, should i shut down my internet while it does this and just leave the laptop alone until it is done?

9. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Couldn't hurt, may not be a bad idea.

10. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    fRyDaYkNiGhT

fRyDaYkNiGhT Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRDS LB 4X4 - Pyrite Mica
    Snug Top Pro Sport with built Thule Roof Rack with a Bigfoot Hard top Roof Top Tent
    I wish I would have read this thread sooner. I got the virus and it toatlly did exactly what you are describing. I wiped the system clean and reuploaded the OS and all my programs I use. Im an idiot...:confused:

11. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Well, so far everything has come back, thanks for all the help, gonna do that safe mode thing next just to make sure all the crap is out of the laptop.

I posted this thread cause i know TW has such a wide variety of people that i was bound to find the help i needed. You guys are great and i really appreciate everything.

Lucky for me my norton popped up about the trojan before all this crap started, so i realized i had the virus without even thinking about buying anything the virus recommended.

12. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reloading is sometimes the easiest way to do it if you don't have a lot of data to backup first. It also guarantees that you don't have anything on the computer (unless it is a root kit)

13. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    if you ever get a popup that says you are infected and it isn't your AV, close the window as fast as possible and any other window that pops up. even clicking on the X will open another window trying to download this crap. If it is a desktop, the best option would be to pull the power. It is a lot easier than trying to clean up this crap.

14. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Did this, i thought everything was gone, but ssure enough it found 4 more things and cleared them out.

Thanks again for all the quick help everyone. This is one reason i love being a member of TW!!!

15. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well I'm late...

I guess you've got everything up and running now?

16. Feb 14, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    I do, thanks anyway though!

17. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
  18. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
  19. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR

Yea Norton is terrible. It would be the equivalent of banging a nasty chick raw dog and trying to blow the germs off your dick afterwards to avoid getting syphillis.

Much better ways of avoiding a Virus. Not to mention unless they have vastly changed it it used to be very resource hogging.

20. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    chadderkdawg

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Panda Cloud antivirus beats most "pay" solutions, the AV market changes everyday though, Norton has lost a lot of ground, it just isn't the same product it used to be.

Products Discussed in

To Top