1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help me diagnose!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by STLTaco09, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It can come and go. I have had the same thing happen to me on both my Tacomas. Vibes at 55 to 65, sometimes bad, sometimes not at all....Turned out that my tires were 2 ozs. out of ballance.

2. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    Chazmanian

Chazmanian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    Well I just got back from the dealer and Discunt (Pardon the intentional spelling error)tire.

Rotor was fine.

Went to Discunt for balance #3 and lo and behold had a kid who knew what he was doing.

Coupla weights and some PSI changes? Viola. Fvcker drives almost perfect. I say almost cuz' the KM2 is so aggro its gonna grap the road here and there but man it drives good. Real good. The last 2 balnce jobs were 2 ounces off...Like the dude above me here!!

3. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    Chazmanian

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    Tire temp changes maybe?

4. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    I would consider that, but I'm talking changes in how it drives all within a 5 minute period!

Glad to hear you got yours sorted out though. I'll be trying the same thing then soon hopefully. Sucks because I can't just drop my car off during the week, I need it!

5. Sep 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    akwagon

akwagon Alaska Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    alaska
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 5spd 4x4
    5100, kazktin leather, truxedo
    same prob here. Smooth up until 60-70mph, shake in steering wheel and in my butt....... 300 miles on new truck. Moto Metal wheels 16x8

6. Sep 9, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    Chazmanian

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    If its of any worth the techs at the Toyota dealership told me they no longer use the moto-Metal wheels on the trucks they spacer lift and put on the lot with the 10 grand added sticker.....They said they had a heckuva time balancing the wheels as the Moto's will not fit right on the lug centric attachement they have.

When I went to discount tire afterwards it was confirmed. The lug centric attachement deal dosent fit the moto metals correctly. It took and hour just to balance the fronts using the cone.....So this may very well be a Moto Metal cheap wheel issue.

I spent $525.00 on mine shipped...So I aint bitchin for now. If they pop back outta balnce next week I may consider a higher end wheel or go with what the dealership is putting on their $10,000 spacer lift kitted ripoff trucks!

7. Sep 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    Where did you get your motos? Good info

8. Sep 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    After thinking about this for a while, I can see where you are coming from about the Moto Metals being cheap, or they are hard to balance because they don't fit right on the lug centric machine right. But I dont think I'm buying it right now (yet, maybe?). As I mentioned in my previous post, my truck rode fine with the stock Dueller H/T (265/65/70) tires with the moto metals. Plus I've added aluminum hub centering rings, which I would think would make a proper fit after getting a balance with a cone adapter.

Just my thoughts.

9. Sep 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    Chazmanian

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker

Sent this guy a message and offered him $500 shipped. He countered with $525. I bit!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...ies?hash=item2ea788487e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

What is this centering ring and where can I get them to fit my wheels???

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Sep 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    Get them here:

We need 108mm OD, 106.8 ID, they fit perfect. Be careful putting them on though, I mutilated one by putting it on the wheel first, then trying to get the whole wheel with hub ring on the hub. It went on crooked, when I tightened the lugs, it just mashed it.

Put the hub ring on the hub first, tap it gently with a hammer until its on all the way, then put the wheels on.

I dont know if they are worth spending the money on. I just did it because my shop kept persisting that I needed hub rings, I kept telling them the wheels are lug centric. No change in my ride since I put them on.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    Chazmanian

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    Just got two e-mail responses from hub centering ring sellors...

Both said the same thing.

The moto metal wheel is already hub centric sized correctly and needs no rings.

So youre right.

Mine is excellent now. I just hope I dont need to go through this 3rd times a charm balancing act every couple months!!

I think I'm gonna drop the coin on some LR UCA's just to be on the safe side. I have no wander issues whatsoever but I do want my truck aligned as outlined in Toku's excellent sticky!!

12. Sep 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    Lifeoffroad03

Lifeoffroad03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ICON Coilovers
    I think this is a Toyota issue and should be a TSB. This same thing happened on my FJ. Could never get it to balance with aftermarket wheels and tires. Just had my new 09 Tacoma done with new wheels and tires and same things happens. By the way it makes no difference with or without the UCAs. I've driven with and without them and to be honest it felt more lose with the aftermarket UCA's.

13. Sep 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels

i have the same thing but i dont have a lift. i had a good friend of mine who has been a toyota mechanic for 20 years look at and said he felt it but couldnt find anything wrong

14. Sep 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    so you want Toyota to do R&D on an issue that is caused when you put AFTERMARKET stuff on your vehicles:confused:

15. Sep 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Chazmanian

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    My caster is at 1.5 on both sides with 2.5" of Billy lift.

Now that my wheels are balnced the truck drives very good. The only issue I have is that the KM2's are so big and sticky they grab every rut in the road and pull the steering a little bit at times.

I'm not doing the UCA's....The 1.5 of caster feels fine to me.:D

16. Sep 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    steering vibrations between that speed will almost most likely be wheel balance or your wheels do not have hub centric rings.. Almost positive it will be one of the 2.. I owned a custom shop and did alot of off road and bigger wheels and 9.5 out of 10 times it was one of the 2..
    :D

17. Sep 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    So I just got the truck back from the 4th visit for re-balancing. I insisted on a road force balancing, and I requested that they use the lug centric adapters for their balancing machine. They looked and me funny, they said they've never had to use them before.

I got a call saying they were going to have to replace a tire, since they can't get it to balance out quite right, of course it'll be a week to get it in since its a Bridgestone Revo, and they've been replaced by the Revo2. They said they had to dismount 2 other tires from the wheels to rotate them, then mount them again.

Anyways, when I picked up the truck, I noticed a huge improvement. They put the out-of-balance tire that will be replaced on the back, and so far the ride is 100x better. It's what it is supposed to be (for the 4 miles I drove so far). Further driving will confirm that this week.

It erks me that I have to insist on a road force balance 3 times before they finally do it, after which the balancing actually provides acceptable results. I obviously couldn't have been as knowledgeable had I not spent endless hours researching on this forum and asking for other opinions, so many thanks for that!

After I put some more highway miles on the tires since this last balance, I'll know more as to whether or not the issue is 100% solved. But I'm already confident that there has been a huge improvement.

I'll tell you what though, it really pays off to try and work with the guys doing the work, instead of coming in bitching up a storm and making a scene asking why they keep f-ing things up and wasting my time. I have no doubt that they've wasted my time on 3 separate occasions, but they'll continue to get my business because they continue to make it right for me, and they work with me without an attitude or much resistance in my requests. Plus after all this, they haven't nicked up or scuffed my rims yet!

18. Sep 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    are all 4 tires being replaced is it going to cost you anything
    how many miles are on the tires ? :D

19. Sep 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    Only 1 tire is being replaced, no cost to me. There is 3,800 miles on the tries. I questioned this when they told me the news. He said there was still 12/32 of tread left, so he said it would be fine only replacing one... What do you think?

20. Sep 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    if your truck is 4wd all tires must be the same the old revo is not the same as the new one you need to call Bridgestown and start a claim
    and tell them that you have a 4wd truck Bridgestown knows that all 4 tires must be the same on a 4wd

Products Discussed in

To Top