1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help me settle an argument.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AC13JohnG, May 4, 2011.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2011.
  1. Don't fix it.

102 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. Fix it.

53 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Other(Specify)

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. May 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Some good post OP BUT #22 IS THE BEST!!!

2. May 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG [OP] Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    I'm just waiting for her to ask me herself. Just a little more background; it came out a couple years ago that she had over 10 grand in debt that her parents did'nt know about and her mother took out a loan and paid it all off for her. My mother-in-law has been making her pay it back, but she is actually putting it in a savings account for her and paid the loan off herself.:rolleyes: Don't get me wrong she is nice, extremely emo and financially retarded, but still nice. She just needs to have reality punch her in the face and grow up.

3. May 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    This could be one of those things that maybe instead of just doing it for her, teach her how to do it herself. Eye opener ?

4. May 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG [OP] Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    Hahahahahaha, yeah right! This girl does'nt understand why I stopped her when she was pounding in a nail with a shampoo bottle to hang a picture.

5. May 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    OOOOOOOO, one of those cases, see I'd have just let her pierce the bottle and have it go all over her. a harmless fuck up that you could then show her a wonderful invention called a "Hammer". The right tool for the job.

Then again... I've used numourus hard objects for nails before because I had no access to a hammer, but i'd never use something soft like a shampoo bottle...

6. May 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Then again... I've used numourus hard objects for nails before because I had no access to a hammer, but i'd never use something soft like a shampoo bottle... Mercel, Never say you are a man without a hammer,ever!!!

7. May 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    rondog

rondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    I voted dont fix it, however I want to change it to 'other'. Next time she mentions it and only if she mentions how she doesn't have money to take it in, call her out and ask her if you don;t have money to take it in, how are you able to afford going on these vacations or a new iphone, ps3 wii etc.

8. May 4, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Welcome to marriage and being the family mechanic. I'm in the same boat.

You're right on principle. 100% right about it.

But you're better off just looking at it and getting it over with. It's just not worth the fight, man. I've been in your shoes. It will mean a lot to your wife, too. Plus you won't have to hear about it from her or your wife anymore.

But your wife needs to tell her sis to act like a grown up and ask you directly if you will look at it. She's enabling her to act like this by this passive bullshit.

You won't teach her anything by not doing this since it seems her mom enables it from every other direction.

9. May 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Lol I've got my industrial steel flash light :D used that and a pipewrench for damn near 97% of my job at work :cool:

10. May 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    I would do it for my wife. Screw the sister. In fact, I'm not married, but my girlfriend has 3 sisters. One of them sounds a lot like this chick minus the living at home part. Her man takes all his rigs to a shop, pretty sure he's never gotten his hands dirty with a vehicle. Ironic, since he works for a building supply company so you'd think he might be into projects? Naw.

11. May 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    Heres how I look at it. Does she want this done for free? Then you need to give free work. If it costs her nothing than it will cost you nothing. You get what you pay for. Why not borrow the car and take it to a shop and do a night drop on it. So the shop will call her in the a.m. and discuss the repairs.

This is how it is in the MARRAIGE WORLD: You fix the car or your wife will make life a living hell until it gets done.

The 3 rings of marraige:
    1. Engagement ring
    2. Wedding ring
    3. Suffering

12. May 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    This is y I voted (OTHER) Fix the car but for good $$$ Two birds 1 stone. Car is fixed but some things in life cost $$ Jim

13. May 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I agree with you bro', but we are talking family here, not neccessarily yours but hers, her & her sister, your wife doesn't see it as "you always work on everyone elses" (even though she says it ) Its her sister & she loves her & in her mind you should love her too & help her out because she IS your wife's sister, I don't agree with that logic, but trust me its how its being rationalized, i.e; bloods thicker than water & blaah,blaah,blaah..

So I guess either bite the bullet , keep getting laid, or stand your ground & get plenty of lube....:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

or option 3, do it & while your fixing it make sure to have that entitlement conversation with your sis-inlaw about having $$$ to do everything else but fixing her ride... Good luck

14. May 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    If it's that important she can SELL something to PAY for what she needs done. That should work for the wife and for the sister in law. Or make her up the PS3 if you do it.

15. May 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    &erson

&erson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunshine State
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    Wet Okoles, Weathertechs, All-Pro Rear Bumper/Hitch & Sliders
    good luck w/ your dilema, I bet this won't be the last time...

16. May 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    id say fix it,but give her a price quote..services are not free,tell her "welcome to the real world."

17. May 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    Just tell the sister in law that ur wife asked you to take a look. Then once you've fixed it, let her know that if she wants something in the future, she needs to come straight to you.

And feel free to mark up the cost of the parts, enough for a nice case of beer.

And another thing, I dont know what kind of people you and your wife are, or what kind of relationship you have- but I would suggest not talking to your wife about your sisters immaturity and financial issues. That is just asking for an argument...

18. May 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This. Do it for your wife's sake, not the sister's.

19. May 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Fuck no. Tell your wife all the reasons you put in the OP (maybe worded a bit nicer), tell her "hey, your sister can afford it. She hasn't asked. She's a big girl. Besides, if I screw it up and she dies cuz of my mistake, how would I live with that? Or you live with me?"

20. May 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    x2

We all get what we deserve, you'll be better off for being a good person, she will one day figure out that things can't always be handed to her at the worst time.

Products Discussed in

To Top