1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please Help- must travel far- 14 mpg!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sbvaughn88, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    sbvaughn88

sbvaughn88 [OP] Member

Member:
    Grove City, OH
    Vehicle:
    4dr Sr5 V6 TRD
    Okay guys here it is- I am looking for any advice about my issue before I suck it up, grab my ankles, and bend over for Toyota. I have changed my O2 sensor and A/F Sensor (Before Cats) to get my check engine light to go off- The rear sensor is a Bosch and the front is from Toyota. Upon changing the rear sensor light did not go off and changed the front and it did. I thought the problem was solved until my gas mileage dropped about 7 or 8 miles per gallon! I tried changing the plugs- they all looked ok, I tried seafoam (truck seems to idle a little better), and I cleaned my MAF Sensor and throttle body-- No change....I scratched my head and then remembered another post that talked about "soft codes" the computer stores so I travel to Advance. The guy hooked it up and I pulled 3 codes on the scanner but have no CEL light??? they are....

P0440...EVAP incorrect purge flow
    P0441...EVAP VSV Circuit fault
    P0446...EVAP vent control malfunction

I have not idea what these mean, nor am i sure that they are related to the drop in MPG that happened. The only stupid thing I did was hack the old front sensor to death trying to get it out- Ohio has bad rust problems, basically cut it in half leaving an exposed hole in the exhaust and then drove it to a buddys house about 30 miles away to use a torch to free the bolts. Then installed sensor. I noticed the MPG drop on the way to his house- you could and still can watch the gas gauge needle go down. I am beyond my knowledge here??? Other than that the truck idles fine, drives fine, no funny smells, no huge loss in power maybe very minor, and sounds ok. Toyota wants $102 flat fee just to look at it and maybe tell me what the problem is and judging by the guy I talked to on the phone (who didn't know that the computer could store codes without throwing a CEL light) I think the minds on this forum are far superior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....I have to drive to Tennessee next week which is 8 hrs away and 12-14 mpg won't do my wallet any favors.

2. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I would clear the codes. AS the engine light is no longer lit, it may be fine now, but the engine could be in "limp mode".......Just thinking out loud.....

To Top