1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PLEASE HELP WITH TIRE AND RIM SIZES

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by kevinS, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    kevinS

kevinS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersy
    Vehicle:
    trd off road crew cab
    none
    Hey thanks,

Im really having trouble understanding the tire sizing terms and measurments hope you guys can help as i am really trying to place an order but im really unsure about sizes.
    I am looking to purchase kmc xd monsters 18" with a 5 inch offset (when i say off set, in my mind it means the more the wheel will stick out from under the fender flair. not sure if thats accurate) i have a toyota tacoma with a toyotech 3'' lift and a 6 on 5.5 lug pattern im looking to get about 2 inches to hang out from the fender flairs.the tire i was thinking of going with are 33'' pro comp xtreem allterains ( this is the second measurment i allwayse get confused about. why do the sizes turn int like 295 ext. then go back to just saying 35" is there a way to read thies sizes to determin the hight of wheel? please let me know) could you please set me up with what rim and tire size i should go with and most importantly the right off set so i can order thies things and stop clicking away at my keyboard getting more and more confused every night. really hope you can help thanks

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    tires get made in metric and standard. some makes arent found in certain metric sizes an dsome arent found in some standard sizes.sometimes the size is rare and ends up making the tire cost more. go here and punch in some numbers and it will tell you the height of your tire along with other specs. Tire Calculator

this will help you understand the metric tire sizes. Tire Rack

Go here, Tire Rack , and punch in the rim size. it will then tell you all the standard and metric versions for that specific rim that are available, well at Tire Rack at least but they have a wide selection. it will help you in your search.

and this, Tire Rack , is where OFFSET can be explained for you with a nice little pic to boot:)

Hope this helps and happy tire hunting

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    Blkturbo!

Blkturbo! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma; 05 Seadoo RXP; 94 Turbo Supra
    Icon Coilovers, Downsouth UCAs, rear Icon "2.5" shocks and Toytec single AAL. Still gotta do exhaust, dark headlights and re-gear the rear diff.
    You do know the tire basics, right?

For example, "295" is the width in mm.
    The 2nd number (2-digit #) is a percentage #
    And of course the 3rd # is the diameter for the rim.

So, the 2-digit percentage number is:
    the % amount of the width -- which IS the sidewall height.

In other words, a 295/70 is a 295mm wide tire that has a sidewall height of 70% of the width.....Or, 70% of 295mm = sidewall height.

Sorry if you knew this already....but yea, take that info and play with tire calculators and you'll be set on the tire size confusion.

Products Discussed in

To Top