1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please! Need Help with a scam

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Chance03, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Nov 21, 2019 at 9:11 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    And did anyone else pre-order their Tesla truck tonight? I ordered the full boat and pre-ordered the self driving option as well. Only a two-four year wait. :D

cosmicfires likes this.
  2. Nov 21, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    My bank will give you $35K for it and you can take out a storage lien while stored at my place.

Slashaar, 13tacosport and cosmicfires like this.
  3. Nov 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    It's like none of you have ever dealt with abandoned property.

4. Nov 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    Chunk

Chunk I smell Ice Cream!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR
    Baby Ruth
  5. Dec 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    So.

There are no real answers to legit questions asked, ie, no additional info offered.

No updates on results of the situation.

Yet 4 days after starting this thread, OP is off posting re TechStream and OVTune stuff, which would appear to apply to this mystery truck. https://www.tacomaworld.com/search/9515341/

So whats the deal @Chance03, is your ownership to the truck all squared up now, or are you modding a hot piece still parked in the garage? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    wolf2600, VirusCage and Pablo8 like this.
  6. Dec 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    Just chalked the whole thread up to entertainment. Didn't know OP still TW loitering

Slashaar and 12TRDTacoma like this.
  7. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Chance03

Chance03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport
    I own another 2016 tacoma. i bought the 2019 to upgrade but as you know that didn't go very well

8. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    No update?

Slashaar likes this.
  9. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    Chance03

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport
    Nope, just in a sit and wait mode. Dont know what i can do at the moment.

10. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    You could treat it like a lost title. Go to the DMV have the vin inspected. That will at least start the process down the correct path. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but this is the process I went through when I purchased a camper with a photocopy title, very good photocopy at least, and I am free and clear now.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  11. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    well keep trying to get updates from law enforcement so you can proceed

12. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    No title if there's a lien.

13. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    Green Jeans

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    Was just getting caught up into the thread. So lemme get this straight you bought, in cash, a truck with a FAKE title in the SELLERS name. Not a photocopy of the OG title with the lienholders inflrmation.
    :sadviolin:

14. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Chance03

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport
    Seller purchased truck...... Photocopied REAL title in his name...... Got secondary loan on truck and gave bank that title (somehow, someway this is just what the dmv suggested happened)..... He is still on the hook for the loan but i have the truck and can not register it. law enforcement can't do anything without the D.A. getting involved which they are reluctant to do. Sold me truck before bank could register it in their system so even though i did carfax history, vin inspection, as much due diligence as i could everything was still in filing mode so everything seemed legit. DMV, state patrol, local police, Private investigator, all said its the first time they have seen this scam and it was flawless. The seller is fucked as well but from his criminal history it doesnt seem like he cares about his name or credit. and im out the money with a really expensive paperweight sitting in my garage.

15. Dec 7, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    Green Jeans

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the abridged rundown. Sorry OP.
    Good luck, I hope you’ve got a baller attorney.

Big tall dave likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    There's no lien because the lien holder doesn't hold the title.

Apply for lost title and let the original seller deal with his bank and his default on his loan that he never forfeited the title for. So there's no truck for the bank to repossess. They'll have to go to civil court with the original seller where they will get a judgment and then they can begin collecting what's owed to them through other legal means other than reselling the repossessed truck.

Martin64 likes this.
  17. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    ajpagosa

ajpagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Off Road 6-speed manual
    Couple of things.

1. Seller probably paid cash originally and immediately got a legit clear title. Then quickly copied it, used the truck for a secondary loan collateral, and sold it to the buyer (OP). I doubt the lien came from the original purchase because there's no way he'd get a clear title. So it must have been a truck equity loan type deal in between the original cash purchase and sale to OP, where he offered the truck later for collateral, and to do so he'd have to surrender his genuine clear title at the closing. Which he did and that is why OP got a copy.

2. I doubt the name on the title (or the loan) is the seller's true name. This is too well-planned from day 1 for somebody to be that stupid.

3. This smells like a fraud ring or identity theft or something of that nature (think gang or OC), so maybe talk to the FBI not local cops. For no other reason than to give them a heads up if this is a new scam and they are not aware of it, and maybe see if they know anything you can do if they are.

4. The bank has every right to repo the truck, it is encumbered by a lien. Unfortunately they are probably going to be too lazy to go after the original owner, if they know where the truck is they will come get it. Imagine this was a house, somebody bought from a guy for cash and he claimed it had no lien. You find out later it does, bank is going to kick your ass out and take the house. Edit: this is why title insurance exists.

Best of luck OP, sounds like an ordeal. Lot of lessons here for the rest of us.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    axulsuv likes this.
  18. Dec 12, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    So ??? does the dirt bag have a name other than what they have been called by others on this thread. Don't want to contaminate the evidence, or impede the Man, so "close enough" might help local or regional TW members identify a rat in the kitchen. ??

19. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Chance03

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport
    Hello TW ive got a really bad predicament. A few Months back i stupidly bought a 2019 tacoma for cash from the owner of the truck. Turns out Seller purchased truck...... Photocopied REAL title in his REAL name Got a really good nearly flawless copy made of title(out of state so i wasn't 100% sure what it would be)...... Got secondary loan on truck before he sold it to me and gave bank the real title (somehow, someway this is just what the dmv said happened)..... He is still on the hook for the loan but i have the truck and can not register it, apply for lost title, drive it or anything. law enforcement can't do anything without the D.A. getting involved which they are reluctant to do because its a interstate scam. He sold me truck before bank could register it in their system so even though i did carfax history, vin inspection, as much due diligence as i could everything was still in filing mode so everything seemed legit. DMV, state patrol, local police, Private investigator, Lawyer all said its the first time they have seen this scam and it was flawless. The seller is fucked as well but is in the wind and from his criminal history it doesnt seem like he cares about his name or credit. Im out the money with a really expensive paperweight.

Also just a disclaimer, yes ive posted this before a few months back with no resolution so im looking for more help. And yes i do own another 2016 SR5 so for people who see my other activity its solely based on that truck.

Im really looking for insight into what my options are. Ive gone as far up the latter at the bank who hold the title and am getting a flat stone wall we can't talk to you about this! Ive even been hung up on on multiple occasions. Im not asking for personal information on the loan just what can be done other than waiting for someone to come and repossess the truck. I would be willing to work with them to get the title in my name and pay for the truck that way through the bank so at least i have a very expensive truck instead of being 100% of the the money.

What am i on the hook for if anything? If at some point nothing is resolved and i no longer have the truck in my possession am i liable for anything that happens to the truck? At this point im at a stand still and at a complete loss for what my next steps are supposed to be. PLEASE if anything comes to mind or you have information that will actually help please don't hesitate to PM me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  20. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Didn't you already have a thread on this?

VirusCage, DrFunker, DWD484 and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top