1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Polishing curved panels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by kpinks, May 19, 2020.

1. May 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    kpinks

kpinks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
  2. May 19, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Take some masking tape or painters tape (one that does not have edge lock) and tape off the film. If you do not tape off seem, you will get polish under the film.

Depending upon the curve you may want to consider a smaller backing plate/ pad setup. This will allow you to work the curved panels better.

gorram and NMTrailRider like this.
  3. May 19, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yes, you can polish curved panels. It’s sharp edges/body lines you want to stay off of or pay attention to.

ace96 likes this.
  4. May 20, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Venom

Venom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Massachusetts
    Another good idea is to put a line on the backing plate. This way you can keep an eye on pad rotation.

I seen people polish clear film to remove the yellowing from the sun UV, to remove wash induced marks. You just have to watch out for for the edge of the film so it doesn't lift. Taping is a good idea, as mentioned already.

Beers, ace96 and NMTrailRider like this.
  5. May 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM
    Steve-O

Steve-O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    The 7424 will work just fine on curved surfaces. Just keep an eye on the pad rotation...most DA polishers will "stall" (stop rotating) when they get to some curved surfaces, and that's when they are less effective. It's not the end of the world, just not ideal. You'd have to step up to something like a Flex 3401 if you don't want that to happen, but that's a steep jump in price, and I'm not sure anyone could really justify it unless they are really into detailing. Right now, I have 4 machines:

PC7424 (bought in 2004-2005, can't remember)
    Griot's G8
    Griot's G9
    Flex 3401

The PC7424 worked great for me for years, but I wanted to try some others this year to see what else was out there. The Flex 3401 is nice, but isn't quite as user friendly as the PC7424, and it's very expensive. Very powerful machine though. The Griot's machines are smoother and quieter than the 7424, but I can't say they produce any better results. They do have some really nice features though, and are priced very competitively with the 7424.

Products Discussed in

To Top