1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Which build would you choose?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chris66, Feb 6, 2016.

?

what type of build would you choose?

1. prerunner

20.0%
  2. trail

80.0%
  1. Feb 6, 2016 at 7:20 PM
    chris66

chris66 [OP] ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)

Member:
    First Name:
    dust
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner
    bfg at ko2, method double standard
    hey guys i've mostly been lurking lately but have been looking for inspiration on which direction to take my truck in. It's got 160k on the clock and i plan on driving it as long as i can. Because of that i want to do more to it and really make it "mine." It's a prerunner so i don't do anything crazy in it but i do enjoy taking it camping fishing hiking etc etc

so, if you could do it again or could just do it, which path would you take? shell and roof rack, more expedition focused? or prerunner style without a bedrack. (in this case i was looking at RINZLER but same difference)

(2nd gens but i'm sure you get the idea)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    malburg114 likes this.
  2. Feb 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Howen

Howen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR M/T black w/Leer 180
    I'm more into the second picture. I use my roof rack often and prefer to have the dry storage. I have a small trailer for hauling loads of rock, mulch, firewood, plants, etc. But you gotta do what you like. Good luck!

3. Feb 6, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    chris66

Member:
    First Name:
    dust
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner
    thanks! it's kind of funny how our tastes change. when I first got my truck I definitely wanted to go with something more like #1 and now i'm leaning towards #2 but I feel like no matter what, once we buy one thing we want the other

D34thMoogle likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    I want you to build it how "you" want to build it. It doesnt have to be either one. It can be a mid or long travelled rig with some armour that will do whatever you want it to.

5. Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM
    chris66

Member:
    First Name:
    dust
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Prerunner
    thanks while i wan't to see what other people think i know i am the only one that can ultimately decide. i'm hoping this somehow helps me figure out what exactly i want. now wouldn't life be easy if we all knew! :)

6. Feb 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    paintedhands

paintedhands Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB
    OME 3" lift w/ 887 springs, Dakar rear leafs, Fuel Revolver wheels, 265/70/R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 tires, Leer 100XL topper, Smittybilt step bars, bull bar, Auer Automotive LED daytime running lights, Morimoto LED fogs
    I'm about to order a topper and do more of the shell-and-rack package in pic #2. I haul a lot of cargo that needs to stay dry on long drives. I have an enclosed trailer but not everywhere lets me park it. Build based on your needs.

7. Feb 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I started with wanting a mid travel prerunner and drove it like that for a while when I decided i wanted to get more into the overlanding/expedition stuff. So i went with the bed rack with a roof top tent. This fits my needs best. But to each their own. If I ever did a shell of some sort, Id do it like mademans 2nd gen truck with a soft top and a rack around it with a rtt.

8. Feb 8, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Total personal preference. The shell gives you nice dry storage. The pre-runner look is fine if you go long travel and make it a real prerunner, otherwise why bother? Keep in mind that with an RTT, once you pitch a camp you're kinda stuck.... which doesn't work at all for me.

9. Feb 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6
    We have the same needs in a pick up it sounds like. I vote option #2. I like the idea of the shell in case I need to sleep back there due to weather or tent malfunctions. Better theft prevention of what you keep in the bed. I'm thinking of buying a truck with a 6' bed so I can sleep back there.

Products Discussed in

To Top