1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and lock PL5500 or PL5400

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoma guy, May 5, 2022.

1. May 5, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Hey guys . Ok so I have red what seams every post on the pop and lock . The keyed ones .PL5500 and 5400 . Everyone post have been from 2014 to 2017. Can any one give me any recent feed back . Has anyone purchased one of these recently ? Has pop and lock updated the issues that they were having , like them breaking , not staying locked ECT . Any and all feed back would be much appreciated !!
    Thank you in advance !!

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. May 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    I have zero issues with my 5400 thats keyed to my factory key. I do recommend spraying lube to the inside mechanism and rods after installl to help with longevity. Had mine for at least 6 yrs with no issues.

3. May 6, 2022 at 4:38 AM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    That is the first positive review I have red and 6 years running . Awesome thank you for the reply !!

4. May 6, 2022 at 7:10 AM
    Leomania

Leomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB v6 4x4
    All stock, baby!
    I replaced an older Pop & Lock unit with a PL5400 a few months ago. As you may have read in other posts, the plastic does not keep its original black color for very long; I have already used a black restoration product on it. Turning the key doesn’t give good tactile/audible feedback but that is a minor complaint. As I recall, during installation I had to remove one piece in order to get the unit to slide into the opening, but that was easy and seemed obvious. I had to buy a camera mount from them separately because the one from the old unit did not fit. I think these newer models are meant to work with the factory bracket, but I’m not sure about that. Anyway, it was an extra 20 bucks to get that resolved.

At this point I can say that I would buy it again, but I would like to see it have a little better quality on that plastic.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  5. May 6, 2022 at 7:24 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    6 years and still going strong…knock on wood lol!

6. May 6, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    That is all very positive feed back . I have red through thousands of reviews and all being negative saying plastic breaks key stopped working leaving their tailgates in the up lock position. But these were all old reviews Just wanted to hear from you guys in recent reviews. Thanks again for the feed back . It does sound promising. Not sure if pop and lock upgraded their product and reinforced their plastic unclear and cannot get a straight answer on that but all your positive reviews has helped.

Edit : One quick question did you guys flip the driver side rod 180° and if so did you get a rattle from that rod after that or were you able to leave it the way it comes stock ?

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  7. May 6, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    blu92in99

blu92in99 Hates everyone, equally

Member:
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Had my P&L 5400 for 5 years now, no issues. Even added-on their power lock actuator for it, a couple years ago. Both working great still.

I don't recall if I flipped any linkages around or not, but probably not if it's not sticking out in my memory.

8. May 6, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    mray

mray Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl Base Access Cab 4x4
    Mine lasted 3 years then the plastic around the bolts cracked and broke....-3

9. May 6, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    jackn7

jackn7 Old Man Tan Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB 4x4
    Just some stuff...
    I've had mine for a little over a year. No problems. Yes, I did flip the rod around and haven't noticed any rattle at all. The only thing I have noticed is the lube seems to be seeping out around the keyway.
    thumbnail_IMG_8414.jpg

10. May 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    That is awesome feedback . Thanks guys for all the replys ! Much appreciated !!

11. May 6, 2022 at 9:13 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    All I know is I've heard the manual keyed lock version is more reliable than power/remote

To Top