1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PoP & Lock

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MorrisCA3, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    MorrisCA3

MorrisCA3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    Basic to coma 4 cycl
    New 2014 Tacoma, New Tonnoeau cover & new PL5500 Pop&lock, Guess which one broke first after one day?? Key just spun in the lock . Took 5 mins to install, 1.5 hrs to Drill out, "Tonnoeau cover was down". They "pop&lock" are sending new upgraded model 5400 Should I trust them. Is the 5400 any more reliable? Oh and the inside of new tailgate has very sharp unfinished edges several paper cuts, remember to wear safety Gloves!.

2. Oct 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lots of good P&L reviews, lots of bad, too, which I care more about. Sorry to hear yours failed. I personally don't plan on ever trying one. Congrats on the new rig, and welcome!

3. Nov 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    I've got one (don't remember which item #) and have had no issues with it. I definitely would not recommend turning the key hard to open though since it feels flimsy ... but so does the stock tailgate handle.

And yes, there are some sharp ass edges in the tailgate to watch out for when installing.

4. Jan 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    808TAC2012

808TAC2012 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorthShore / Red Raider Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    18" FN Wheels, Bakflip bed cover, NFAB Bars, 6000K HID Headlights and 6000K HIDFogs, Ceramic tint.
    Was the new pop n lock with the " BOLT " techonolgy or did this come with a key? and was it painted to match the truck? How is it holding up?

I checked the pop n lock website out and I wanted to know how the new " BOLT" technology is ? This is where your ignition key is the key to unlock the tailgate. THey also have them painted to match your truck now....:)

5. Jan 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    scottclarkinco

scottclarkinco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM TRD Off Road
    A lot. Check out my build page.
    I got the new one where I was able to code my ignition key to the Pop n Lock tumbler.

It is OK. It does feel flimsy and the lock operates with about 1/4 turn of the key which takes some getting used to. It also doesn't immediately unlock every time. Takes a few flicks of the wrist sometimes to get it locked/unlocked.

All in all, I still recommend it for anyone looking to secure the tonneau or items in the bed. I have an $800 tonneau that I would be ultra pissed if I lost.

I would rather drill out the Pop N Lock if it ever fails and be out the $75 as opposed to the $800 I'd be out if my tonneau got swiped.

6. Jan 23, 2015 at 3:57 AM
    ScarabMike

ScarabMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All stock
    I got my 5400, and it has operated perfectly. Only issue is that you dont turn the key all the way to the sides. Overall, thats a minor issue. This thing will save your tailgate from being stolen for scrap.

Products Discussed in

To Top