1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop n Lock for 09?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FixedTRD, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    dynolock seems like it might be a better option.

I wonder how the electonic one is for the '09's

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    Monarch

Monarch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7L manual SR5 barcelona red
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    I do my own thrashing. Thanks anyways.

3. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    Monarch

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    SkyJacker, OME 884, 33's no CMC, ECGS bushing, Bushwacker, Pop & Lock, Redline, Weathertech, Softopper
    We are talking about the fit and appearance of the Pop and Lock PL5300 product.

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM
    AaronM

AaronM Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Double-cab SR5 LB
    I noticed the quality difference at first, too, but it's negligible, and you'll forget about it afterwards.

I did notice that the stock handle appeared to be greased, I may open up my gate again one day and add some grease to the pop and lock, it might help.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

Yes we are. I am pointing out that the Dynolock seems like a better option than the Pop&Lock seeing the crappy quality on the pop&lock. Also, I threw out the electronic Pop&lock as well as an alternative.

I came upon this thread while I was looking into gate locks for my '09. I saw your pics, and read your comments. So I responded that the dynolock looks better given my research. That's all. But thanks for pointing that out to me.

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights

Did you use the rubber/plastic backing from the OEM handle, from your first picture it kind of looks like you didn't not sure though. If you did then it looks like it didn't snap in place in the bottom.

I like mine so far no issues, no rubbing paint no nothing a bit stiffer to open, but it still easy to open. I greased it a little bit with lithium grease.

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    AaronM

AaronM Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Double-cab SR5 LB
    Only concern I would have with the Dynolock is, what do you do if it ever fails? Of course, I'm always more comfortable with manual equipment...

The quality difference is pretty much just in the feel of the plastic v.s the OEM, and a bit of stiffness in opening the gate. I don't feel like it's liable to break, or otherwise fail.

Having it on my truck for a few weeks now, I can confidently say that labelling it as 'crappy' quality would be a large overstatement :).

8. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Funny you mention that. I have emailed Jim over at DynoLock and he says that they have never had one fail. Yet on TN, there were a few posts by people stating just the opposite. That the actuator lost its strenght over time and just couldn't lock/unlock the gate. They were older posts and the new actuators are made in the USA rather than China and resolved this issue. I just don't know. On the one hand the convienience of just pressing the fob is nice, but if it dies how nice is it really?

9. Aug 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    Monarch

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    I followed the instructions exactly and reused the factory gasket and yes I used some white lithium grease on the areas that I thought needed lubrication before I buttoned everything up.

I'm in Canada but I actually paid $85.00 CDN for this product that was shipped from California. I'd been on a waiting list for a few months now and props go to the US supplier that rushed it to me as soon as they had it in stock.

Happy with the fit and finish of the product? No.
    Does the product do the job as advertised ? Yes.

50 percent was a major fail when I was going to school.

10. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Factory gasket does next to nothing. At some point I'm going to remove my pop 'n lock and use some clear silicone around the edges, as well as around the edge of the camera housing. I also hosed all the moving parts down with lithium grease before installing. Doesn't make a difference, other than hopefully making the product last longer.

11. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    zman

zman Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    4getful

4getful Senior Junior Member In Training

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4X4
    6" Pro-Comp Stage 2, 35x12.50x20 ProComp Xtreme All Terrain, 20" KMC Revolvers, 4.88 Gears, Banks Exhaust De-Badged
    ^^^^
    I got my Pop n Lock from that guy also. He was very prompt on everything. It took about 6 days to get to me. It is now installed and works well. I did notice the fit and finish of this lock does not look as good as the previous one I had. It does lock the tailgate, though.

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    Monarch

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    "Crappy Tire" is a Canadian colloquial saying that only refers to the Canadian Tire Corporation and its stores in Canada.

Google it.

14. Sep 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    Katwar

Katwar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    Hi everyone! I'm a new member with a brand new 2009 Tacoma with the back up camera. I read the posts in here about the different tailgate lock options. I decided on the Pop and Lock because I wanted a good old fashioned manual lock. I ordered the PL5300 for the backup camera from Truck Candy (www.truckcandy.com). It cost $54.10 and it came about 4 days after I ordered it. I just came in after installing it and the installation was pretty darn easy (by girl standards). It took about 30 minutes because I had trouble getting the camera disconnected from it's snap-on housing. I am so extremely pleased not only with the ease of installation but the quality of the product itself. If anyone has any snafu's during installation, please feel free to email me.

Kathy

15. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks for the post Kathy. Really made my day. I have the exact same lock ordered. Well still waiting on it after a month. Glad to hear it wasn;t a hard install. Thanks. If I have trouble with the install I'll e-mail ya if you don't mind.

16. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Katwar

Katwar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    Capita,
    Feel free to email me about any of it. I'm home in bed with a fractured foot bone so I'm living for emails right now.....LOL.

Kathy

17. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks so much! Get well soon! Welcome to the site by the way. It's a fun place with a lot of great people

Products Discussed in

To Top