1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop n Lock - PL5300 - IT BROKE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MenaceAllen, May 26, 2010.

1. May 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    Quick RANT for you all... Since I got this thing installed from the dealer I have not been impressed with it. The handle portion of this product looks like it has been chopped out of a piece of scrap plastic with an exacto knife. Also, when opening the tailgate if feel like I am going to break it to get it open.

Yesterday the Pop n Lock decided to break because it couldnt handle its one and only job. I was hauling some dirt in 5 gallon pails for a backyard landscaping project and when I try to unload them, I pull up on the handle and NOTHING. When closing it from my last trip, I never heard anything break and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Anyways if you are thinking of buying this product I would highly recommend looking at other aftermarket brands. Of course this review is my opinion and not anyone elses that own this product.

I go to the dealer on Friday to get it fixed / replaced. If I can have my way I will have the OEM one put back on and have a credit in the accessories department.

2. May 26, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    from what ive read on here, many people have problems with the new Popn Lock for the +09 w/backup camera. some have had to make their own modifications(read: Fixes) to get them to work properly as a handle. this seems like an inferior product, i really wish there was a reliable way to lock the dang tailgate. the last thing anyone needs is a tailgate stuck in the closed position. well besides another hole in the head.

3. May 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    There seem to have been an update to this model. I bought the same one a couple of weeks ago and it opens and closes very easily. The plastic also does not feel flimsy at all.

4. May 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    It happened to me only time and it was because my son didn't close the gate completely, one side didn't latch. When I pull on it, it was just loose and not doing anything. After pushing in that unlatched side, it works again normally.

5. May 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Fmsvandal

Fmsvandal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps

I Agree. I just installed mine last week and its nothing but great. Seems to be well made and opens just fine.

6. May 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    cgriffin

cgriffin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Warrior, AL
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Dbl Cab w/Long Bed, TRD CAI
    TRD Intake, Bed Cover, Electronic Tailgate Lock,
    Just wait, it will crap out. Ive had one for about 2 months and started having problems. Hard to open, locks itself. Pop&Lock is giving me an electric one to replace it. I would suggest getting the electric one.

7. May 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    biketom555

biketom555 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Barcelona Red SR5 4x4
    Nerf bars (TRAIL FX 56400 stainless), "Quality S" class III trailer hitch, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, Hellwig rear Sway Bar, WeatherTech Digital Mats (front), P&L 5300.
    I received my PL5300 (painted version) as a Christmas gift and installed in March. In a nutshell, it's unreliable and poorly made. It used to lock on it's own, but quit doing that since the weather has warmed up. However, now that it has warmed up, it has locked me out on one occasion for whatever reason. It has the "flimsy" feel unlike the stock handle.

The dull paint finish was also a disappointment. The paint has been scratched off at the top where it pivots due to the lack of clearance between the lever and fixed section.

Since I purchased this directly from the manufacturer, I am going to contact them to see if I can get a replacement or a refund.

tb

8. May 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Mine locks every time i close it!
    They sent me the replacement spring but it was sent back for insufficent postage, and they resent 2 weeks ago and no spring yet!
    I called them the beginning of April,so almost 2 months waiting to fix this piece of sh!t!
    Sorry, just venting.

Denis

9. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    The POS just locked me out, and my f'n tonneau cover was locked so I had to pry that open to get to the stinking tailgate and then unbolt the crappy thing to get to it while still up. It was a nightmare, and doing it in 98 degree weather really didnt help me...Anyway, thanks to the advice of 64Wildcat I will be ordering a new spring, and a new pop n lock, just to see if they did upgrade it or not. I swear mine never felt like it worked correctly. I had one for a 2008 and it was a dream. It was well made, it felt more sturdy than the stock handle. This one however feels like a piece of plastic junk...hopefully I can find my stock handle if this doesnt work out.

10. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    64Wildcat

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Finally got the spring last week, so far it's working fine but only time will tell, my old one worked fine for a few months then sh!t the bed.

Denis

11. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Have had mine for a couple months and posted on here how I was unimpressed with it.

It is cheaply made and feels flimsy. So far, mine has worked as it's supposed to, but I use my truck less often than my other car, and the bed only part of the time then, so it hasn't had as much use as many of you other folks.

I'm hoping it doesn't shit out. If it does, I'll either go with another manufacturer (if there is one) or go back to the stock OEM handle (I kept it).

12. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    MrZoggs

MrZoggs Ainokea

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB Sport
    Some Stuff...
    Had the dealer install mine.. Waste of money as usual.. Anything they touch always seems to not work right after they have it..

Anyways, Mine gave me some problems at first so i decided to investigate.. Noticed that the dealer didn't lube ANY of the parts in the tailgate. Some grease and TLC made mine work Very smoothly and hasn't given me any more problems.. (I greased the springs, levers, slots, and just about any movable part inside of the tailgate)

13. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    64Wildcat

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Well a week after the new spring is installed it shi!t the bed again today!
    Had to basically break into the toneau to get in the bed!
    I'm now back to the oem one and will probably look into a Dynolock.

Denis

14. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow been hearing a lot of negative comments about the PL 5300 lately.

Dennis, I'm very happy with my dynolock.

Also I was born in Billerica...small world. Go Sox.

15. Jun 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM
    64Wildcat

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Hey Kieth wow small world is right!
    Did you get your Dynolock from Dynolock's site or from somewhere else, i'm having a hard time finding one on line?
    I'm going to the game tonight!

Denis

16. Jun 15, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Awesome man hopefully Clay has a good outing.

I got it from dynolock's website. It's a one-man shop near Dallas, so sometimes they run a little bit behind....I'd give them a call...

17. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    ThosePop Locks seem to be a real piece of junk from all the negative comments about them,I was going to get one once but reading all the bad things I decided to save my money. I have a tonneau cover that has its own lock and this will have to do Im, not wasting my time and money on a Pop n Lock.

18. Jun 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    I can't find my stock handle...but i know its in one of those boxes...(looks over pile of 30 box mountain...)

I dont understand, some people aren't having ANY problems with pop n' locks. My buddy has one on his 2010. He's had the lock for just about 4 months. His is also better made than mine, which is a bit weird, unless they have upgraded since they first released them. I ordered a new one, but if it sucks out of the package, im done with them forever.

19. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Mine works mostly fine. It's stuck a couple times, but cycling the key seems to fix it. Definitely feels flimsy when operating it, and I don't open the gate all that often since most of what I throw in the back is easier to load/unload over the side. Bought mine in late 2009.

The one real improvement is the alignment of the backup camera is more helpful in paralell parking with the lens switched to the other side of the handle (curb lines up with the edge of the licence plate pocket in the bumper when I'm at a good distance now). If they've upgraded the construction, I may have to contact the manufacturer and see about a replacement though....

20. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    a little over a month ago Pop N Lock made a serious design change in the way they manufacture the whole assembly. I spoke with a rep today and he is shipping me the latest revision which has MUCH thicker plastic on the "finger" that operates the lever as well as the handle itself (no more flimsy feeling). So, if you have any issues with flimsy handles or things breaking, call em up and they will replace it with their new model. I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top