1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poplock (PL5300) 2009 Tacoma with Cam -Install Tutorial

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma-09, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jan 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Li0nel1234

Li0nel1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lionel
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD OR DCSB SSM
  2. Jan 10, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    Did you notice anything different from the pics in this thread? I originally mine installed mine in an '09 then removed it and reinstalled in my '13. No issues whatsoever.

3. Apr 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
  4. Apr 2, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    mytaco77

mytaco77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 dbsb 4x4 TRD
    I did this to my Taco too. It's a great feature. I just wish it opened as smoothly as the OEM handle. That's my only small gripe.

5. May 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    mgb8345

mgb8345 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
  6. Jun 20, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    Trekker56

Trekker56 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma TRD SPORT white
    Poplock for 2013 Tacoma
    ??? With camera

7. Jul 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    DougsGraphics

DougsGraphics Duck Hunter!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB TRD OR
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    I put the model 5400 (key-alike model) in my 2015 a month or so ago. It went in fine, took about 15 minutes or so. The only challenge I had (aside from cutting my finger on one of the metal internal supports of the tailgate) was that the handle didn't seem to operate well, meaning, it took a lot of torque to open and the driver's side always seamed to stick. I'm not sure about all the previous versions of the lock and earlier model years, but the instructions for this model require turning the driver's side rod end-for-end. If you don't, the rod rubs on the lock cylinder; when you do, the routing is odd and there is no middle support and the pulling angle on the latch is different. So, after a month or so, I opened the gate back up and made a small modification. By putting the rod back in it's original orientation and making a small bend in the rod about two inches or so from the connection to the lock, all is better (see images). In this alignment, the rod still clips into the middle support, but with the bend, there is no interference with the lock cylinder. Hope this helps some folks who experience issues with operation.

This image shows the final install in the closed position. Note the new bend I put in the driver's side rod (the one with the red attachment to the lock) about 2 inches to the left of the connection point. (I put this bend in by putting the rod in a bench vice where I wanted to make the bend and then bending to the extent shown.)
    20150704_0002.jpg

When the handle is flexed, the rod now has plenty of clearance around the lock cylinder, without having to reverse the rod and thus loosing the center support and creating a poor angle for pulling on the latch.
    20150704_0003.jpg

Hope this helps a few folks...

robm7 likes this.
  8. Oct 1, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Tacoma SS

Tacoma SS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 09 on 35s
    Boost and flex and 35s
    I did not have the special type of screw driver to remove them so I used a flat screw driver of the same diameter and was able to unscrew them no problem.
    Cimg1849_4456ef30071b9371edc50f74bc29b17a2f68130b.jpg

These are the small ones. In total remove 15 of themCimg1850_28929a90155dd914d2e9ebd25103f28f9e8a7dfd.jpg

For future reference, I believe you can just use a 4 mm Allen key if you do not have a torx bit

9. Dec 10, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    jayb1rd

jayb1rd ay0 jay

Member:
    Monrovia
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner Radiant Red
    AlphaRexx Headlights | Alpine Touch Screen Double Din | 21' OR Suspension Upgrade
    Excellent!
    1. did the popnlock come with the camera?
    2. do they sell a rear view with monitor? if not, which rear view would you recommend and where can i buy one?

10. Dec 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    Lesson Learned on this handle: I recommend you pull the two scews out of the lock and latch mechanisms on the back of this handle and put some thread locker on the threads. I have had the screw holding that unlatching pivot plate (don't know what else to call it) come loose twice, and suddenly the handle stops working because of the play that develops between the plastic lever of the handle and the projection on this plate. When that happens, you have to unbolt and pry off the top cover of the tailgate and reach in with something like a piece of clothes hanger to hook and pull the wires to get the gate open. I put thread locker on a few months ago and it seams to have solved the problem.

11. Dec 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    biketom555

biketom555 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Barcelona Red SR5 4x4
    Nerf bars (TRAIL FX 56400 stainless), "Quality S" class III trailer hitch, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, Hellwig rear Sway Bar, WeatherTech Digital Mats (front), P&L 5300.
    Great video that I referenced when I originally installed the Pop & Lock on my '09 Tacoma. Unfortunately, after several issues with this lock and one replacement, I am back to the original handle. Of course I miss having the ability to lock the tailgate, but the Pop & Lock is just not built well enough to put up with any longer. I must say that their company has great customer service and provided me with a free replacement, but the product continued to be problematic.
    The first Pop & Lock had issues opening the tailgate, which I believe ended up as a recall. The warmer the outdoor temperature became, the more difficult the handle was to use, eventually leading to not being able to open the tailgate at all. Fortunately for me, I have a soft tonneau cover and I was able to access the clips to release the cover. Customer support sent me a replacement which worked much better, but the paint finish began to flake and peel off. I finally gave up on the Pop & Lock and re-installed the original handle. The original handle operates so much better and easier than the Pop & Lock ever did. It's unfortunate that Toyota did not offer a lockable handle until the 2016 model year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!!

12. Dec 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    In the company's defense, they don't have a lot of real estate to play with without modifications to the tailgate. A lock and a handle of sufficient size to gain much leverage is a big challenge in the space allotted. However, I would probably pay more if they put out a model with more solid metal parts. In my case, I will eventually reinstall the factory handle and outfit the gate with electric locking bolts. For now, with the small bends I made in the wires and some thread lock on the screws it is working well enough.

13. Apr 2, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    Moxy

Moxy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Burlington, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab
    tonneau cover, custom floor mats, hitch and wires, running boards, pop n lock.
    Thanks for the help. The pics really made it easy. Much clearer than the manufacturers instructions. So now with the pop n lock, solid tonneau cover and hose clamp on my tailgate pin, the rear of my truck is finally secure!!!

14. Jan 9, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    Almost Canada

Almost Canada Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab trd
    Update: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLK77YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just installed mine yesterday... used this write-up, did the little bend in the actuator arm as mentioned above.. Did not use thread locker, due to it being plastic... Works great, very easy install...

Few differences I noticed:

The new instructions suggest you flip the driver side actuator arm this gets rid of the need to bend the arm (I had already made the bend;) so not sure how well this works..

The model I bought the camera is on the same side so no need to re-run the wires...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Aug 17, 2023 at 12:38 AM
    kcdonegan

kcdonegan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keegan
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tacoma
    This is great thank you! Do you have to buy a special rear view mirror for this? I just have the regular mirror.

16. Aug 21, 2023 at 10:39 PM
    TikiBird

TikiBird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma ACLB TRD Pre-runner, Leer 122 shell.
    after reading alot of reviews on P&L i decided to just get the 8521 and retain the original handle.

Products Discussed in

To Top