1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Popping noise in right front over bumps only when cold outside

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Lefthook, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jan 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM
    Lefthook

Lefthook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    I have a 2014 double cab long bed TRD sport 4X4 with auto trans and six cylinder. The truck is all stock with almost 10,000 miles on it. I have developed a pop sounding noise when I go oner little potholes or pulling into a driveway. It on happens when the right front wheel hits the bump or pothole. It sounds like it is under the passenger front seat or floor according to my son when sitting on that side. It also happens without anyone sitting in the seat too. It sounds like a stabilizer link but it seems tight with no play. Another noise also comes from passenger seat over larger bumps. It is like the seat back is shaking on its mounting. Any thoughts or similar problems would be thankful. I know it is under warranty but before I take it to the dealer, just looking for input. BY THE WAY, THE NOISE IS ONLY AFTER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE DROPS BELOW ABOUT 35 DEGREES.

2. Feb 4, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    mmccoy6705

mmccoy6705 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michelle
    Howard County, MD
    Vehicle:
    '15 Toyota Tacoma Sport pkg
    I'm not god with vehicles, at all. But I had a 2003 that did, almost, the same thing. Except my issue was whenever I turned hard. Backing up, going forward, or just turning my steering wheel while the truck was sitting. Does yours do any of that? Well my truck was recently involved in a head on collision. I took it to a mechanic and he checked everything. Stabilizer, sway bars (I can't remember exactly now because my incident was back in 2013-2014) Anyways he drew a blank and suggested it was my body moving, causing the load pop to sound. He suggested that because of the accident. Regardless, no one could figure it out and I traded that Tacoma in for a 2015. Don't know if any of that info helped.

3. Feb 5, 2016 at 1:20 PM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    Thanks for the response. My truck does the popping sound only over slight bumps after temperature drops below freezing. The dealer will get it when it gets my free service next time.

4. Feb 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Lower control arm cam bolts and nuts need to be torqued to a minimum of 100ft#'s. Start there, then check your body mount bushing nuts. Just use a 3/8" ratchet to give them a little torque, they don't need to be super tight. Post back with results.

5. Feb 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    Thanks Texoma, I will torque the control arms and check the body mounts and repost my results.

6. Feb 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    Update so far. I put the truck up my lift. Torqued upper and lower control arms, crossmember bolts, shock bolts and upper nuts, running board bolts, cab body mount nuts, rear leaf spring shackle bolts, seat mounting bolts, and every other nut and bolt under the truck I could see. The popping noise is still there below 35 degrees F. My kids seem to think it is coming from under rear of front passenger seat or under rear of rear passenger seat. I even removed the jack and lug wrench and it is still there. It is driving me a little nuts. My question now is has anyone ever experienced this and has anyone ever had to check tightness of plastic bed mounting bolts. I haven't had time yet to check them.

7. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    Update- Took truck to Toyota yesterday and today. Only 15000 miles on it. I am handicapped so I cannot take a loaner car. I waited 5 hours yesterday and 6 hours today. 2 techs and shop foreman hear the popping noise but cannot find where it is coming from. Noise sounds like a stabilizer link noise but not problem. The noise is heard to the right and under passenger front seat and B pillar. They were on the phone with Toyota corp and checked everything corp said to check. I will leave truck tomorrow till they fix it. Will post repair when done.

8. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:25 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I think i have the same noise, mine sounds like something bouncing or wobbling when i hit a bump, but same area and only when its cold.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:29 AM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    My truck is at dealership. Dropped off Saturday. The techs are trying different remedies but no solution as of yet. I will post what fixed the noise when it is repaired.

10. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    in for results

11. Dec 20, 2016 at 8:35 AM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Sub'd for results.
    I have a popping sound as well, usually only after my truck has been sitting for awhile, like in the morning or after work. It happens when i turn the wheel hard while not moving.

12. Dec 23, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    I received a call this morning from dealership. They said the fight front strut needed replacement and some hardware. This is making the noise. This afternoon the dealership called and said they replaced the strut but noise is still there. They have a Toyota company tech coming in on Tuesday to see if he can figure where the noise is coming from. Keep you posted on results when I hear from dealership.

eccracer104 likes this.
  13. Jan 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    FIXED !!!! Toyota had the truck for over a week. They replaced right front strut and upper mounting plate- noise still there. I had to bring it back yesterday because Toyota engineer came to dealership. This is what invoice reads: Test drove vehicle with FTS Joel, confirmed noise still present, removed body bolt from right center cushion, drove vehicle with chassis ears and confirmed noise coming from cushion. Lifted cab off of the frame, removed cushion sub assembly and replaced cushion, bolt, locking nut and washer. Test drove vehicle with shop foreman and confirmed noise is no longer present. Driving the truck home from the dealership, I did not hear anymore noise. Hope this helps other Tacoma owners.

usmc2msu likes this.
  14. Feb 10, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell

Did that fix the issue fully?

AustinMada and Furball like this.
  15. Feb 10, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Lefthook

Member:
    New jersey
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Tonneau cover
    Yes it fixed the noise.

Mattynokes and Furball like this.
  16. Feb 10, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    GrundleJuice

GrundleJuice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Bro
    [S]Un-Molested[/S] Lightly Molested
    Some quality forum search and solve going on here.

Mattynokes and Furball like this.
  17. Feb 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell
    Word.