1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Popping sound on rough roads.. (cab mnt?)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Yeah definitely. I'm just wondering how to press those bad boys out of the arm itself once the arm is off truck.

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    something that small, and somewhat flexible, id imagine that you could do it yourself, using your own press of sorts, getting them out would be fine, pushing in a good vice could do the job. stress the word good.

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Well actually flexible is the problem. The rubber portion is contained within a steel sleeve, and the steel sleeve is then pressed into the sleeve of the control arm itself. So... the trouble is getting a tool just wide enough to contact the ID of the inner sleeve while being small enough to pass through the control arm itself. Hard to describe, but I believe that is the key difference between first gen and second gen bushings.

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    nah i understand. Im sure with a little work, some sockets, and 2/4 pieces you could do it :D

worse comes to worse napa has machine shops.

5. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Alright, so there's an awesome article over on ttora explaining how to replace these bushings. I think I'm going to order some OEM bushings from toyotpartscheap.com and take a stab at it. My only question is, the website seems to indicate that the bushings cost $55 a bushing. I'm wondering if that's per pair..? Any idea?

6. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    just read through this thread, and my truck pops the same way, so its your LCA bushing? mine are looking pretty beat after 97K so im guessing its the same issue, can you post a pic of what your bushing looks like on the truck? this sound only comes on my truck when im turning left(the popping sound only comes from the right side) so basically when the right side coil gets compressed it pops, not sure if its the shock or the LCA but post a pic please..

7. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I'll go take a pic in the garage but my truck is exactly as you describe. Pops when you turn and especially if you turn while braking into someone's driveway. Thing is.. you can't tell what's wrong because once you've completed the turn the bushing pops back to normal and everything looks normal. I'll go take a pic so you can see. BRB

8. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    rcfreak201

Member:
    yeah exactly going up and down the driveway and turning left im popping. when driving straight its fine and when i purposely swerve right it does nothing and every left swerve it pops so its that one side fosho, thanks brah ill go take one as well:cool:

9. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The bushing are pretty expensive, I bet you're looking at "each."

It's pretty easy to completely remove the LCA, but the bushings are pressed in and you'll need a shop with a press to remove the old ones and set the new ones.

Also, it's a dealer part only, and they probably don't have them on hand.

10. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    rcfreak201

Member:
    i got a few pics uploading right now but im not sure if you can tell with the truck just sitting flat, tomorrow ill try jacking it up and seeing if the bushing is torn.. i just had my uca bushings replaced since they were on the verge of completely ripping off
    edit: wait i got pics of my lca balljoint, not the bushing, is that what i was supposed to do? lol oh well here they are
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Observe the gap between the bushing and control arm mount
    IMG_2660_2a61cd4777b79a29bb091512b8035fbea2be7346.jpg
    Gap is now closed which causes the "pop"
    IMG_2664_ed9117367008a08c010c83bd258b5f736b508f0a.jpg

Crom likes this.
  12. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    rcfreak201

Member:
    oops i feel like an idiot, i took pics of the ball joint hahah

13. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Toyotapartscheap is a dealer according to their company info page. I'm guessing they have most everything on hand.. hopefull.

14. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Nah, it's not the ball joint. Not by the description you gave. I thought it was my ball joint too but couldn't understand why I didn't hear a rattle sound day-to-day driving down the road. I was surprised to see the pushing pop like that but I saw it with my own eyes.

15. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    rcfreak201

Member:
    yeah ill take a pic tomorrow, so basically where the alignment bolt is in front? but like from the side?

16. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Ya. You saw the pic I posted above right? That was a picture of the rear bushing from the side looking just behind the tire. You can see the same thing happen with the front bushing too. If your pop isn't so bad, it may pop back before you get out of the car to observe. The only reason why I could take this picture is because it became really bad finally.

17. Sep 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    rcfreak201

Member:
    alright ill post here tomorrow:cool:

18. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
  19. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    i was hoping for a before and after :(

20. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Parts are on the way! I just posted in two formats just in case. Parts cost was $230 and that's if I don't have frozen bolts or cam tabs :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top