1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POR 15 the underbody

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cmbtjnky, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    cmbtjnky

cmbtjnky [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New hampshire
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB, TRD Package
    5100's @ .85, 885 Coils, Light Racing UCA's, AAL's w/billy's, Nitto TG's 285/75/17, 17" Motto Metal boots, Painted valance, Painted rear bumper, Custom Grille, Hella Black magics in Grille, 1975 Toyo Landcruiser Front emblem.
    Hey guys. I recently had the entire underbody of my 05' Taco completely whacked with POR-15. Everything that was not mechanical in nature got it. I followed all the steps to a T as far as cleaning and prepping and application of the products. My question now is....now what? Can I do a second coat or should I? I have heard of guys going over the POR-15 with a Rhino linning like substance, your thoughts? I just want this done right because I am keeping my girl for years and years to come. Thanks guys.

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Saskamoose

Saskamoose Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd o/r 4x4 Access 4.0
    Borla Exhaust/Air Filter, Remote Start/Keyless Entry
    Hey OP,

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago. POR15 is pretty strong but from what I have read it is worth putting a light second coat on and then just getting into the habit of touching it up once a year. That's what I plan to do anyhow. If you painted anything that sees regular direct sunlight (like a trailer hitch) you should also put a topcoat on because POR15 will eventually break down under UV exposure. POR15 sells a topcoat that goes with the paint. Nice job on getting the job done you'll sleep better at night.

3. Sep 20, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    cmbtjnky

cmbtjnky [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New hampshire
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB, TRD Package
    5100's @ .85, 885 Coils, Light Racing UCA's, AAL's w/billy's, Nitto TG's 285/75/17, 17" Motto Metal boots, Painted valance, Painted rear bumper, Custom Grille, Hella Black magics in Grille, 1975 Toyo Landcruiser Front emblem.
    Thanks Saskamoose. I do sleep better already. Being an 05' and not beng touched underneath at all was a process in itself. There was a lot of rust under there. Took me almost 3 days total from start to finish, but it is done. I am def going to go through and slap on a second coat.

4. Sep 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Do you have any pics of how it came out? I need to do mine.

5. Sep 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Saskamoose

Saskamoose Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd o/r 4x4 Access 4.0
    Borla Exhaust/Air Filter, Remote Start/Keyless Entry

Products Discussed in

To Top