1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible chep/free fix for hyperflash turn signal

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by doru, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Jan 5, 2024 at 12:20 PM
    doru

doru [OP] Member

Member:
    I will have to start with a disclaimer that I am not an electrician, and what I will describe is what I think just pure real life observation.
    My truck: 2019 TRD OR.
    At the end of november 2023 I changed the turn signals front and rear from incandescent to LED. No hyperflashing, life was good. Slowly almost all bulbs were changed with LED, minus the front side marker lights and the license plate lights.
    No hyperflashing, everything worked perfect.
    Yesterday, I decided to change the license plate bulbs with LED. Which I did. This was during the day. Had to run an errand, everything was fine. Yesterday evening, I had to to an other errand, and lo and behold, all of a sudden I had the dreaded hyperflashing.
    This morning, I started the car, tested it, and no hyperflashing. This was odd. So I turned on all the lights, and again at this moment, I had hyperflashing. Which made me think that maybe the license bulbs might be somehow act as a resistor once you turn on the headlights (night driving conditions), and trigger the hyperflasing issue if they are changed to LED.
    So I replaced those license plate LED bulbs back to the stock incandescent.
    Once done, I tested the truck with lights on (night time conditions, which triggered hyperflashing) and the hyperflash was gone.
    So I believe my theory was correct and I hope this might help some other people with this issue. Now, if you are bent over to have those license plate lights also LED, then you probably will need either resistors, or I think the canbus LED might also work, because they have built in resistors. Mind you the el cheapo ones don't work as advertised and might be a hit and miss. My turn signals are not canbus, if anyone wonders.
    And I also forgot to mention that the interior lights are also incandescent.
    Hope this helps

2. Jan 5, 2024 at 9:30 PM
    6MTPro

6MTPro Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI -> CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro 6MT | 2004 4Runner 4.7 V8
    Tune, 285/75/16, Diode Dynamics, PPF, Bakflip Mx4, Meso, Cali Raised, TJM
  3. Jan 5, 2024 at 10:26 PM
    Rednecktacoma22

Rednecktacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Logan, UT
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD OR 6MT
    Love the detailed post. Here's my experience.

I've had 4 sets of LEDS on my 2022 license plate lights, after throwing in LED headlights, meso stsge 1.5 LED tail lights, upgraded all interior to LED, fog lights, side mirror LEDs, and even added vLEDs for foot well lighting (also have anytime backup/ front camera, anytime 400w, arb air compressor, sub + amp, factory LED bed lights and third brake light) ... only issues I've had are license plate lights. Damn things are FINICKY. Here are 3 things I've learned:

1) DO NOT "test" the license plate LED lights during install. Install both with the truck off. Then test the lights. If one or both don't light, turn the truck back off and repeat install by flipping one or both. Essentially, don't install one and turn the truck on.

2) turn your DRL's/ auto light/ headlights off during the car wash! Idk what it is, but the license plate lights don't hold up to pressure. And don't turn them back on again until dry. Essentially, be a ghost in the car wash (I only have ever used touch less, so higher pressure?).

3) don't buy tacoma beast LED's. They warrantied my lights 3 of the 4 times. I could've got another warranty but they just don't last so i didn't shoot for a 4th. I'm currently trying LasFit LED's (which I have for headlights and fog and they're holding up 1.5yr+). Jury is still out but I think the first 2 points are more important; in order.

Bonus 4) harbor freight extended needle nose 45° for replacement. Maybe I'll make a YT if these next ones fail and I have to replace them a 5th time :anonymous:

I have had no Hyper flashing with all these LEDs installed however. Seems hit or miss for some people. I think the "testing" one during install (without the second installed) is what causes issues for most.

Like you; I hope this helps others.

4. Jan 5, 2024 at 11:29 PM
    doru

doru [OP] Member

Member:
    These don’t work for 3d gen Tacoma
    Our trucks have a different relay with (if I’m not mistaken) 12 pins. Even on their web page they say it’s up to 2015
    That pic with the Taco is deceiving

5. Jan 7, 2024 at 1:00 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    3rd Gen have NO removable relay, it's integrated to the Combination Panel PCB.

ricco333, soundman98 and theolee like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top