1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Issues with Removing all JBL Components? 2nd Gen.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by buggin, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Jan 10, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    buggin

buggin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Trail Camper DCLB
    King CO, Fox Rear w/ All Pro Expo, 285 BFG AT KO
    Hello,
    I have a 2nd Gen, 2009 Tacoma Double Cab with JBL that seems to have either blown speakers or a problem with amp, there is low frequency distortion / rumbling at moderate sound levels. I have spent many hours on TW researching the easiest way to reuse the factory speaker wiring to replace the JBL head unit and JBL amp and sub. From what I have read it is best to trash anything that has a JBL logo and start over, including removing the factory sub enclosure.

It appears that the factory JBL radio only sends two channels of audio to the JBL amplifier. Which I think means I wont be able to use a Pioneer aftermarket HU built-in amp to power the speakers unless I run new speaker wire directly to the speakers.

I think I would need a 5 channel amp to reuse the factory wiring. Someone suggested using the PAC Audio Speaker Connection Harness - APH-TY04 to accomplish this without needing to cut up the factory harness. But if a 5 channel amp is going to cost $370 + $50 for the harness adapters, I will probably run new speaker wire directly from the new head unit and bypass everything.

Any tips from someone who has already replaced the JBL system would be appreciated.
    • I am planning on using the iDatalink Maestro RR to continue using the steering wheel controls.
    • Will the backup camera still work? The signal is currently sent to the rear view mirror.
    • Will the steering wheel call handling controls still work? Pickup, Hangup, Voice Control.
    • Will I still be able to use the factory microphone for calls?
    • Can I reuse the factory Sirius tuner and antenna? It sounds like I can if I use this adapter. iDatalink ACC-SAT-TO2 Satellite radio and GPS antenna adapters for select Toyota vehicles.
    • Will anything else stop working if I remove the factory HU and JBL amp?

This is build I am contemplating, I just want it to sound like the factory JBL system should have sounded in the first place:
    Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX - Just announced, I want wireless android auto and a capacitive screen, haven't used a CD in years.
    iDatalink Maestro RR and iDatalink HRN-RR-TO1 Factory Integration Adapter and iDatalink ACC-SAT-TO2 Satellite radio and GPS antenna adapter
    Metra 95-8214T Dash Kit
    Pioneer TS-A300TW Tweeters - If I run new wires, I would wire these in series with the front speakers. If the reduced volume is noticeable at moderate levels, I will just disconnect the tweeters entirely if the problem cannot be remedied by adjusting the fade.
    Pioneer TS-G690 6"x9" 3-way speakers
    Rockford Fosgate R165X3 6-1/2" 3-way car speakers
    Sound Ordnance B-10AS Single 10" sealed powered subwoofer enclosure with 100-watt amp.
    EFX PA10BX Sub amp Wiring Kit

Anyone know for sure if the Sound Ordnance B-10AS sub will fit behind the passenger side back seat if I remove the existing plastic sub enclosure? I have not measured yet but I think it will. The B-10AS dimensions are:
    19-11/16" W
    12-1/2" H
    6-11/16" D1
    3-11/16" D2

I am thankful for any input/feedback.

2. Jan 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    Coma 13

Coma 13 Regular Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Sambo
    Deep East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Rock chips and door dings
    I removed all of my factory JBL audio a while ago. As far as any issues of it affecting anything else, none. I didn't use any factory wiring and ran all new wire to everything. I think you can still retain steering wheel controls with the right components. Haven't got that far yet. Good luck on your install.

3. Jan 21, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I'm just here to find out if the Sound Ordnance B-10AS sub will fit behind the passenger side back seat.

The steering wheel controls can be retained. I use them with my Kenwood DDX3XXXBT HU. I don't remember the adapter that I had to buy, but it works wonderfully!

4. Jan 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Not a golfer

Not a golfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Double Cab Barcelona Red
    Buggin

Have you purchased new gear? If not before going to the expence of replacing gear. Check your system over or spend a few bucks to have a stereo tech check for you.
    Because if your not after a high wattage system and happy with your JBL this may save you time and money.

Check over yourself

With your stereo off/truck power off
    Go to your amp/sub and unplug connections, check condition of plugs/connectors
    Reconnect plugs/disconnect plugs a few times (over time oxidation/dirt can form on metal connectors effecting the signal)
    Check your sound
    If sound is still distorted
    Check speakers while sound is distorted (move your stereo controls around to each speaker)
    Does distortion come from all speakers?
    If so. Yes you may have a problem with your headunit or amp (it's unlikely to blow all speaker at once but not impossible)

OEM JBL HU or AMP is not compatible with any aftermarket units (as far as I know)
    Any aftermarket HU will need adapters for dash install, steering wheel controls, Sat Radio, OEM in dash USB plug and any other OEM wiring being used related to your new stereo. (Metra has options as well as others)
    Your backup camera will not be affected because it doesn't go through your OEM HU
    OEM mic will not work. Not compatible with any aftermarket HU
    Removing your JBL system will not effect anything not connected to it
    If your thinking of anything above approx 50 watts RMS for a stereo system I would strongly suggest all related wiring be redone (power included, check your units install specs)
    HU/Amp output wattage will effect the need for a total rewire. You only have OEM 18 gauge wiring (unless I'm wrong, maybe 16). Smaller wire=less max wattage, power capacity
    If your going into the doors. Adding some sound deadening would be a good thing as well

Using the HU/speakers you've listed w/o a amp

You could run new speaker wires from new HU in dash to JBL amp location. Unplug and reuse OEM JBL speaker wires from that location going to speakers. Saving you time installing wire in each door
    I would also suggest using the same Company and style of speaker for your doors (same sound quality from each source)
    Keep in mind always match best as possible HU RMS watts to speaker RMS watts for best sound quality
    As for installing a tweeter (upper front door) c/w any lower front door speaker that has a tweeter built-in. This may cause to much or cancel highs in your sound
    Look at component speakers if you want to have a speaker in upper door locations. Suggest Kenwoods new Excelon line component speakers for front doors (Five Star Car Stereo did review on thier youtube channel)
    For rear door speakers I would suggest a two way. You want more base from rear not highs
    Any powered subwoofer enclosure will add to your base for sure. Just compare it's size to the OEM pocket where JBL is now (under front seat is option as well)

Do a update once you complete you system

I've researched this for my 2012 non JBL. I'm like you. Just want good clean sound that I can turn up but not heard from a couple blocks away
    But if a high wattage output system is your cup of tea, nothing wrong that

I was born when the earth's crust was still cooling so my option reflects my age

libagui likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top