1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible to dislodge CV boot when swapping struts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Oct 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I am bringing back my truck this morning to the garage that installed my 5100's because one of the inner CV boot was dislodged spitting grease everywhere. When I first complained about it, the mechanic denied having anything to do with it. The operator didn't really oppose but hasn't told me they will cover it. 99% chance the mechanic accidentally dislodged it but I just wanted to make sure from here that it is indeed possible. I can picture letting the axle drop too far pulling the boot off the differential casing...if I am using my terms correctly.

Thanks

2. Oct 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Yea, I'm not looking at the tacoma right now, nor have I replaced tacoma struts; but I've messed up front drive cars doing struts. If you over articulate the shafts, you can pop an end off or, in my case, I usually rip them, cause they're old and baked. But Usually the boot would be strong enough to hold it on a new car, never know though. It could be done. Not a hard fix unless its torn up now. But then again, you had a shop do your shocks...its all relative.

3. Oct 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    That sounds like exactly what they did.

Products Discussed in

To Top