1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

possible to test coil pack?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Greensystemsgo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Googled a little and couldnt find squat, using an ohm meter, how does one go about testing a coil pack? Dude at autozone didnt have a tacoma in their book for some reason so he unfortunately was unable to help much more, im thinkn just replace it and hope the CEL quits. Maybe a thing of injector cleaner.

2. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    McBride513

McBride513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 TRD
    If you getting a misfire, switch the coil with a working one. If the misfire moves with the coil, you know its bad.

3. Jul 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    Thankyou, concerning 1 and 2, i took it into autozone, pulled it in parking lot, (got engine was hot on this 110 degree day), and the kid told me how to test. Oreily seems to be uselss as knowing anything, and napa is napa. They had tested it with a ohm meter i happened to have in truck.

I could play mismatch, BUT i dont have a reader, and it doesnt instantly throw the light, i have a job in the morning 30 miles, so we will see.

4, im good. haha

long story short, i got a new one, duralast gold, no not the oem denso :( :( :( but oh well. truck doesnt jerk while accel and hopefully my mpg goes way up.

4. Jul 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    So its just running like shit ?? Not throwing codes ?? If it is (check engine light)go to AAMCO, they'll put it on a reader for free & tell you where to start looking, as far as testing with a meter not really sure, but if theres a noticable amount of resistance, could be bad coil pack, but I don't know what acceptable limits are spec'd out to be..

5. Jul 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    saweetlou

saweetlou Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl cab long bed
    3in spacer
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be a crack in the boot, make sure all your plug boots are not cracked and the little coil inside that clips on to the plug is connected to the coil wire. I just used electrical tape to fix it.
    Just a thought.

6. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    Was throwing CEL, bank 1 lean and cyl 3 misfire. cyl3 has the coilpack directly on it, and the lean COULD be because of the misfire bad coil.

boots were fine, i changed plugs few weeks ago and they proved to be not the culprit and inspected wires while i was there.

7. Jul 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    StampedePasser

StampedePasser Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mukilteo, WA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I have had a "Misfire" with a CEL for about 5 years now. Codes are for a 300 (Random Cylinder Misfire) and a 301 (Cylinder 1 misfire). I replaced the coil pack first, but the CEL came back on 3 weeks later. Replaced plugs and wires next, and CEL was back on 2 or 3 weeks later. Ran fuel injector cleaner in it as well.

Funny thing is I never feel a misfire and the truck runs great. So here I am 5 years later with the same check engine light. Took it to a mechanic finally and they hooked it up to a scope and said it is NOT misfiring and compression is good. They also cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor and replaced the air/fuel ratio sensor. CEL was back on in 2 days with the same misfire codes.

Gremlins in my engine I tell ya...

Products Discussed in

To Top