1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Post your basic/favorite tool box that you use for a quick fix or for basic maintenance.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sramirez1516, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Apr 26, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    sramirez1516

sramirez1516 [OP] Saul R.

Member:
    First Name:
    Saul
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota tacoma xtracab prerunner 2.7
    None
    Curious as to see what my fellow 1st gen owners basic toolbox looks like in the inside. I got a toolbox that has basic tools to do basic work on my cars. nothing fancy or complex. Let's leave the fancy stuff for another thread.

2. Apr 26, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I've been using this thing for 3 years.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'll take a pic of it when I get home. I have some wrenches, pliers, hex head sockets, socket extensions, pliers, pencil, sharpie, telescoping magnet, park tool cable cutters, blue loctite, flush cut pliers, flat and philips screwdrivers, vice grips.

I also carry a small 3/8 drive socket set, a Milwaukee mid torque impact wrench, a bag of impact sockets, a torque wrench, a pry bar, a dead blow hammer, a multi meter, wire stripper, Soldering Iron, tire patch kit and that's about it.

I find that I don't really need anymore tools than that and I've replaced my timing belt, all my A/C components, installed a second gas tank, Tundra Brake Swap, Full OME suspension swap, multiple trail side CV axle swaps, Carrier Bearing, ARB Bumper with Winch Install, Dual Battery System, Solar Panel, DIY Fridge Slide, Overhead console with a Ham Radio, Bumper Mounted HID lights, Roof Mounted Light Bar, Fuse Box, Switch Panel, Back Up and Front Facing Cameras, 10 Gallon On Board Water, Driver Side ECGS Bushing, Full Skid Plates,

uploadadventure likes this.
  3. Apr 26, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    CS_AR

CS_AR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner TRD
    Everything but the driveshaft. B03A - 410
    I spent roughly 10 years collecting tools for working on my Nissan/Infiniti products in 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, and 14mm sizes. I think you can do roughly 95% of maintenance to those products with those sizes. Then I bought the Tacoma and found that Toyota uses the same mm increments for 95% of maintenance. I'm really HAPPY about that. I have Hondas that seem to use odd numbered metric sizes. I don't like to work on them. Something about it just seems to be odd.

There is one thing that I've found to be a great addition to my toolbox is a JIS driver. Japenese vehicles use JIS screws instead of Phillips.

Check out this thread about the difference between a JIS and Phillips head driver.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/jis-versus-phillips-head-screw-drivers-japanese-vehicles.604611/

My suggestion is to get a Vessel JIS driver like the one in this link. It will help you avoid stripping the head on JIS screws. MAF screws are an example of JIS in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-900-Megadora-2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B000TGF8YI

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Luv my yota, rogerman, otis24 and 2 others like this.
  4. Apr 26, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    KStateTaco

KStateTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    01 Reg Cab 4x4
    I have one of these bungeed to the back of my seat. Fits perfectly.

Kpatt9, Hamer95USA and CS_AR like this.
  5. Apr 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    underaroof

underaroof ember

Member:
    Eastern Sierra
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab 4x4 V6 TRD
    I just bought this during the last sale. Going to be in the truck full-time.

I'll keep my nice tools locked away in the house.

6. Apr 26, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    Hamer95USA likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I don't really have a "kit". Just a smattering of box wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, that I've collected over the years. I break my own "rule" and use some tools from my shop "kit" so I really just need to get some replacements from harbor freight or something. HF stuff isn't too bad for occasional trail use, but I keep the craftsman stuff for the shop.

I have them in a dumpy old plastic tool box, but I'm going to pick up a rollup bag or two on my next trip to HF. Those pack easier and are easier to keep organized.

8. Apr 26, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    OneWheelPeel

OneWheelPeel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. Apr 26, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    I carry a 105 PC craftsman socket set in its case under passenger set, metric gearwrench in rear cubby, breaker bar with thin wall sockets, jump starter, too many screwdrivers. Plug kit and air compressor.

10. Apr 27, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    jeg0005

jeg0005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    BHM, AL
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 double cab
    Full OME 883s, SPC UCAs, 33" STT Pros
    Perfect timing. I was just looking at stuff to build a little "emergency maintenance" kit for my truck. Following.

LivinOnEdge likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top