1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Potential buyer questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rraabb11, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    rraabb11

rraabb11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hi guys, need some help. before i write more, i would like to say i used the search function and read a bunch of threads before i wrote this.

need help deciding between double and access. test drove both today. the double felt like the 4 runner i once had but had to sell due to gas prices/economy over a year ago. the access cab after felt incredibly small and useless after driving it.

here are some floating questions:
    1. the access cab door felt horrible when it closed. is that justs its design? (i test drove new cars)

2. family-no kids yet, probably wont for a year or two. even with, couldnt i just drive my wifes car with the kids? i guess maybe i may pick the kid up at daycare or something, can 2 baby/car seats fit in the back of an access cab if push came to shove?

3. im working in construction. i would have to get some lumber and clean out garages of extra material from time to time (plywood, trim, etc). would the short bed of a double cab be pure hell for that? i havent seen any pics of this yet. i would love to see someone pack 20 105's 2x4's in the bed of a doublecab.

4. what about soil? anyone ever get topsoil in these trucks? seems like the doublecab wouldnt get ya much.

5. color-love the black, but does it scratch easy? saw a used one and it looked pretty bad.

6. do i need 4x4 in the snow or are sandbags sufficent? 4wd just makes you handle better but doesnt stop you any quicker. and where i am the roads are taken care of pretty well.

7. before its suggested, i think the long bed double cab may be too hard for me to park and drive. id get a bigger truck if i wanted a bigger truck and i know that it would annoy me.

8. any dealer tips?

thanks for all the help. there is alot of mods and tips on here i cannot wait to get into.

2. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    first off welcome to TW! :wave:

3. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    nuddle

nuddle nuddle

Member:
    First Name:
    aleese
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC Longbed 4x4
    BHLM, custom painted interior pieces, simple sound system
    i have a 06 white DC longbed 4x4. The 4x4 comes in handy for me. I live in Canada and i have needed to use my 4x4 in many situations in the snow. It comes in handy and is really nice to have. I have hauled large boulders in my truck and a snowmobile and it hauled it very well, couldn't really notice that i was hauling anything. As for the parking and driving a long bed is only like a foot longer than the short bed so it really doesn't make a difference, parking is a little tricky at first, but once you drive the truck for a while you get used to it and it becomes a lot easier. And as for the double cab it is super nice to be able to have room in the back, everyone sits comfortably back there and i always use it to put my things back there when i need too. I would really recommend the DC longbed 4x4.

4. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Definitely go with the long bed double cab. I've got an '01 DC PreRunner, and I'll tell ya what, it's great to have the double cab. 4wd would be great to have, too. If you have the choice, I'd say DC longbed 4x4.

5. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    1. No complaints on the door for me.
    2. No the access cab is set up for one car seat
    3. Don't know about that one. Take measurements next time.:)
    4. I can load up a yard of mulch in the access cab bed
    5. Black will make scatches more visable and might make the cab feel hotter, at least thats the case w/my dads silverado. but white is the complete opposite.
    6. Get the 4x4 especially if you live where it snows. Also it's great because of the type of work you do.
    7. the dbl cab long bed seems to be the best fit for you: More cab room for a larger family in the future, Bigger bed for work.
    8. There is TONS info in the "Consumer Reports" magazines for new car buying you can pick one up at your grocery store. I highly suggest you pick one up.

Good luck and welcome to TW.

6. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    rraabb11

Member:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really curious to hear the lumber and sand bag stories in the double cabs. Also more feedback on black scratching would be great. Thanks!

7. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    If you're asking about sand bags as in winter/snow driving, I've got four 60 pound bags in the back over the axle. I'm 4x2, and have had to drive in the snow twice (the second time with 4 inches and the first with about an inch).

Here's a video of me driving with an inch of snow (hardly any). I piled it up at the end of the driveway. Take a look. I slid a lot, but then again I am 4x2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCm-wMzBsv0

Like I said, hardly any snow. But I will tell you this - I piled up about 3 feet of snow when we got those 4 inches, and I was able to roll right through it. However, my truck is TRD off road, meaning it comes with the rear locker, which helped a lot.

But 4x2 with a rear locker is no comparison to 4x4.

8. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    look else ware for a vehicle IMO then

9. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I have the magnetic grey... I don't find alot of scratches, but I do find that the Toyota paint seems to chip VERY easily. I drove an old Neon for five years before this truck, and didn't have nearly as many paint chips as I did after my first winter with the Tacoma.

On the question of car seats. I dated a girl with an infant, and with the rear-facing child seat, the passenger seat had to be as far forward as possible, leaving almost no room for her. Can't imagine having to put it behind the driver seat (which is, ironically, where the hook is placed for child seats). I think it would be fine once they were old enough to use the front-facing seats (tight fit, but it would still fit). Depending on how often you would drive with kids though, I would suggest looking for at the double cab.

10. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Answers in red.

11. Feb 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Have had no problems with my AC. Front facing seats fit fine in back passenger side, and you can put the rear facing one in front (just remember to turn the air bag off)!

12. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    rraabb11

Member:
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm definately going 4wd. New job puts me up in the great lakes area. (mike your video reminded me of the frustrations!) Ruled out long bed double cab based on size and looks. Now it's access vs. Double. The bed size is the big issue but my buddy says you can always pull trim/some lumber thru the sliding window. Would love to hear 4x8 sheets and 2x4 experiences- using straps, bed extender, tailgate up or down, etc...thanks again for your advice and opinions!

13. Feb 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    rraabb11

Member:
    Resurrect an old thread:

Would you take a:

2009 DC v6 Pre-Runner std. bed
    Or
    2012/13 AC 4 cylinder 4 wd?

Consider what I need it for. Kid transport rare to occasional, 4 wd maybe 8 times a year, bed used alot.
    Side note: any home remodelers have an opinion? Ie tool
    Storage vs. Material hauling?

Products Discussed in

To Top