1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power boat AND a Kayak?

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by vwbuggsy, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Jul 15, 2023 at 1:26 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    I currently own a wide bodied 14' aluminum skiff with a 15hp motor. I use it for fishing and crabbing here in Southern MD. It's a nice little boat and pretty much does what I want or need it to do. I'm actually really happy with it.

However, it's kind of odd but I feel this pull to want a kayak too... but I'm not entirely sure WHY I want it. Maybe just naked consumerism :confused: I keep eyeballing used yaks in the roughly ~12' range (most with some variety of foot drive or with the thought of adding a trolling motor) with the thought of an additional fishing platform. I guess I'm thinking of boat ramp free launching, smaller waters lakes and ponds, and a more quiet and peaceful day on the water?

If you own both some kind of power boat AND a kayak... why? Do you find one sets around most of the time? Do you ever regret having both? What purpose does each serve for you that the other does not?

I didn't really know for sure how much I'd love owning the skiff until I got it. Now that I have it I wish I had picked up a boat years ago. So now I wonder what I may be missing by not owning a kayak.. or a larger center console, or... well the list goes on :rolleyes: Unfortunately I can't reasonably own a fleet of one of every variety of boat that I wish I could experience ownership of.

2. Jul 15, 2023 at 1:50 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I don’t own both.
    I was a former boat owner that vowed never to own another one.
    I have friends that own both, or have owned both.
    Some sold their boats and bought kayaks.
    Most of them eventually went back to a boat.

I’ve been in both. I’m a fisherman.
    I feel like the kayak just doesn’t have “enough room”.
    I’d rather wade in the river and not have to haul the kayak around.

This is my experience. Others may be different.
    I’m also in Eastern Tennessee. Our rivers, streams and lakes may be different than your bodies of water.

3. Jul 15, 2023 at 2:33 PM
    GorgeRunner

GorgeRunner Out There

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Owned or been "partners" on numerous boats of every shape and size. They seem to take an abnormal amount of time and money, but sometimes you need a boat.
    Kayak fishing is fun. It takes more effort and costs less.

https://watermanatwork.com/blog/category/kayakfishing/

4. Jul 15, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    Tallgrass05

Tallgrass05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a 16’ aluminum BassTracker with a 35hp Evinrude and loved it. Now I have 2 kayaks, a Native Ultimate Tandem sit-inside and a Viking Profish Reload sit-on-top. I love them both. All the boats are different and provide a different experience. I fish and camp out of the kayaks. With the kayaks, there is much less muss and fuss in getting out on the water and I think you become a better fisherman because of the time needed to get to a spot.

Buy a kayak and a light paddle and give it a try. You can always sell the kayak if you don’t like it. Just don’t get a cheap POS like a Sun Dolphin or Pelican.

IMG_2864.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  5. Jul 15, 2023 at 8:03 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    Thanks I knew I'd get some perspectives here.

I'd be looking at "good used" if i try one and likely something like a hobie or perception or along those lines (a decent brand fishing kayak). I figure that way I'm more likely to be able to at least nearly break even if I decide to sell it later because it's not for me.

There's a small local lake nearby that rents kayaks so that was probably my next step, to rent one and see how I like it for a few hours. It won't really tell me what it's like to own one, or the specific one i might buy, but it might give me more info.

As for my little skiff, she don't eat much. I rinse the boat & trailer, and flush the outboard each trip. Our rivers are brackish. Then it's just the usual maintenance stuff (lower unit oil, impeller, plugs, yearly winterizing, trailer bearings). The maintenence is minor and worth the joy. The only repair issue I've had so far is one spun prop hub which was not a big deal.

6. Jul 16, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    Tallgrass05

Tallgrass05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kayaks get you into some pretty cool places.

WEIT 6 narrow channel copy.jpg

vwbuggsy[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 17, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Kayaks are sick. good for body AND soul. I am getting my heart rate up, and my exercise on!

there is no greater thrill than feeling a large bass turn and move my kayak. "oh, its a good one!" the joy I have had with my kayak has been profound.

riverfront2basscopy.jpg

Scott B. and vwbuggsy[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top