1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering fluid change

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Trifenix, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    I decided to change the power steering fluid on the tacoma and avalon today. Both vehicles have 180k on the clock and original ps fluid. I opened it up and started to pump out the fluid...it smelled like burnt ass. Longggg overdue. I pumped and refilled, and turned the steering rack. Did it 3x till fluid was red again instead of burnt brown. There is a good writeup on TTORA if you need specifics.

Should be good to go hopefully. Don't forget your PS fluids guys! I have 99 so it took Dexron III ATF. I think new toyotas might be different. :D

2. Dec 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    :)
    thanks for the thread

3. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Replaced the oem fluid on my 2010. At 18000 or so miles it stunk and had debris in the rezzy.

I disconnected the return hose, and captured the fluid while adding new fluid. Once clean fluid was flowing, reconnected and filled the rezzy.

FWIW, I had the front tires jacked off the ground, engine was started and wheel cycled left / right.

I used Mobil 1 ATF for fluid. Also added a Magnafine filter in the return line.

PK

EB Group likes this.
  4. Mar 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    seanmccarthy1

seanmccarthy1 Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5
    Switched mine ....I know little late to the thread

Products Discussed in

To Top