1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering flush and filter installation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheDevilYouLove, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Nov 12, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove [OP] You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    I installed a magnetic power steering fluid filter on the return line to the power steering reservoir in my 2010 Taco. It was a straight forward process of removing the return line and re-installing it will a filter spliced into the middle of the line. It was a fun and easy project which will hopefully extend the life of my steering components. The service life the filter is 30,000 miles before it needs to be replaced. The same type of filter can also be installed on the auto transmission.

Here is a discussion of the benefits of PS filters:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...atic-transmission-and-power-steering-filters/

Here are the parts and supplies that I used:

1. Power Steering filter from NAPA (I think it is an unbranded Magnafine filter)- $20

2. About 2 feet of Derale transmission hose (3/8” inside diameter)- $16

3. Two OEM hose clips part number 90080-46355. I first got some generic clips at NAPA, but those are probably only good for lawnmower use and were certain to leave me stranded on the side of the road. The OEM Toyota clips were more expensive but were a million times better. The OEM clips worked great with the Derale tranny hose, but the Gates hose is a little thinner and these did not work. So make sure the tranny hose you use at least 5/8” outside diameter. - $10

4. At least a quart of Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF fluid- $18/gal at WalMart.

[​IMG]

First, flush fresh ATF fluid through your PS system. No sense in running dirty fluid through your new filter. This is also a good idea to do even if you don’t want to install a PS filter:

1. The flush is done WITHOUT the engine running, although the ignition will need to be on, so you can spin the steering wheel. You will need to jack the front of the truck off the ground unless Ronnie Coleman is there to help you turn the steering wheel.

2. You can empty the PS reservoir and fill with fresh fluid now, or just spend more time flushing as described below.

3. Disconnect the return line to the reservoir and quickly install a short piece of blocked off 3/8” ID hose so the reservoir does not drain dry. I used a piece of clear hose with a 9mm shell casing plugging one end. Make sure the reservoir has the correct amount of PS fluid if any drained out.

[​IMG]

4. Place the end of the return hose into a catch container and turn the steering wheel 45 degrees at a time. After each 45 degree spin, refill the reservoir with fresh fluid. You don’t want to turn the steering wheel too far or you’ll run the pump to run dry and get air in the line and must start over. Once fresh fluid is going into your catch container and you have filled the reservoir to the “Cold Max “line, you are done the flush. This should take about a quart of fluid or so.

5. I cleaned up the cap for the power steering reservoir with some Mass Air Flow cleaner, and it looks just about new.

Install the filter:

6. Cut new transmission line and assemble it with the filter spliced in the middle. The two new hose clips can attach the filter, and you can re-use the two existing hose clips on the PS return line. Keep in mind that the filter is directional, so consider the direction the fluid is flowing when installing it.

[​IMG]

7. Have your newly assembled hose and filter ready to go when disconnecting the other end of the existing PS return line (the end furthest from the reservoir). Once that lower end is disconnected, PS fluid will start draining from the reservoir, so don’t goof around too much when installing the new line or you’ll let it run dry and have to flush your PS again.

8. With the bottom part of the filter/hose assembly connected, go ahead and connect the upper end to the reservoir. Make sure all your clamps are where they need to be in order to secure the lines.

[​IMG]

9. Turn the wheel a few more times to get fluid flowing through the new line and into the filter. You’ll likely need to add some additional fluid to get back to “Cold Max”.

10. Take it for a test drive and make sure there are no leaks and fluid level is correct. You’re done!

2. Nov 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'

Products Discussed in

To Top