1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering making noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bezanson, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jul 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    bezanson

bezanson [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V6
    I have a 95 Tacoma, 4x4 V6.
    The other day a friend and I started to hear a buzz or whine coming from the engine compartment. By the time we got home, it was clear that it was related to the steering, as it was much worse when you turned right or left, especially when not moving.
    The power steering fluid was brown, so we drained, flushed, and put new fluid in. The same loud whining occurred.

So, I resigned to the thought that I just would have to replace the Steering Pump. I bought a new one (rebuilt one from O'reilly's) and put it in. This resulted in no change at all. Now I see in a few forums that many a customer made the same diagnostic mistake, leading to the real issue being in the rack.

So my questions are:

1) I used normal (even cheap) power steering fluid. How important is it to use the ATF instead, like I am seeing in the forums. Could that alone actually fix the issue?

2) If it is the rack, what in the rack is failing? Perhaps the check valve (is there a check valve?) is stuck, or there is a block somewhere?

Basically, is there any way I can possibly avoid having to buy a new $300+ rack? Kind of strapped for cash these days :)

2. Jul 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    mytattootears

mytattootears Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ramon
    martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    darkness
    Fabtech 6” lift (Hybrid). 63” Chevy springs. All Pro bumpers front/rear. And stuff
    this happened to me , well kind of my in leaking fuild and i can figure out where, the fluid is brown also, i hope you find out what it is, so i can get a clue on what to do

3. Jul 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Try flushing it with ATF first. If that doesn't fix it you probably have to replace the rack.

4. Aug 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    If the sound is coming from your engine compartment and it whines when you turn your wheel that means its the pump. If it was the rack you would hear it down by the rack. I had the rack go on mine and it came from the rack. No doubt about it. I know you said you replaced it with one from Oreillys. Take it back.. Oreillys,autozone or anything other then OEM are junk. I stopped using those parts in my toyotas years ago, after having lots of problems.You may find that A rebuilt from the dealer may only be A couple of bucks more, but worth it .

Products Discussed in

To Top