1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre-ignition on slight acceleration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mmatheny, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Sep 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    Taos1

Taos1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Access Roll Up Tonneau cover, Stainless Steel Sidestep bars, Pop&Lock, Grillcraft black Mesh Grill
    I have an 08 with just over 1k. Just today I started her up and let her warm up for over a minute and then started to drive. Pulling out of the parking space, I was very gentle on the gas pedal and it suddenly felt like it wanted to stall then it started to idle really rough. I pulled over, shut her off and re-started her and it was still idling rough. The acceleration from stop seemed sluggish. After a few minutes, the rough idling stopped and now it runs fine. I've been putting in 87 octane Exxon gas since I got it new a month ago just to try to save a few bucks. Could I be having this problem on a new truck with low mileage already? Any other suggestions?

2. Sep 8, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You may have just had some crap in one of your injectors. Did your check engine light come on?

3. Sep 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    If this is an on-going thing, then I'd consider switching grades or at least brands of gas. But if the pinging just started one day out of the blue, I'd suspect you got a tank of dirty or stale gas' Personally I'd run a can of SeaFoam through it, and then a tank of premium gas, and then go back to 87 octane & see what happens.

Once in a while you need to clean the throttle plates and throats too. They build up soot that affects your airflow, and particularly at very light throttle openings.

I use Techron sometimes because you can get it in cases at Costco, but SeaFoam is available at Wal-Mart now, and it is much better IMO.

4. Sep 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2!

5. Sep 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    Taos1

Taos1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Access Roll Up Tonneau cover, Stainless Steel Sidestep bars, Pop&Lock, Grillcraft black Mesh Grill
    No, no engine light.

After a few stop and go's, the rough idling stopped. I popped it into neutral and the idling smoothed out. But once I popped it back into drive the rough idling came back. Weird. I'll pick up some seafoam just in case this happens again.
    Thanks for your help.

6. Sep 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    could just have been a small piece of trash in one of the injectors like chris said, or it may have been a small piece of trash that touched on of the sensors for a couple of seconds. you probably dont have anything to worry about though.

7. Sep 9, 2008 at 5:48 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    3 yrs of mid-grade or better, went back to 87 for last 3 fill-ups. Drive same trips, same commute. Lost .3-.4 mpg. Exact same thing I saw in 05'. Motor not quite as smooth, can hear the pre-ig at low rpms, climbing steep grades.

Reason I tried, the price difference used to be .10 per grade. Last few months, its been .25-40 mid, .35-50 premium. So depends on price of fuel grades if its worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top