1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prepping Truck Bed For Camper Shell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wonder371, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Oct 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    wonder371

wonder371 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma DCSB Off Road
    Hi There,

I just ordered a camper shell. In the process of researching which one I wanted, I came across this video. At about 2:14 he talks about using silicone to waterproof the bed from leaks. Is there a write-up or diagram on the best areas to do this on? This video is pretty good, but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. I tried to search the forum, but didn't have much luck finding what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

2. Oct 19, 2017 at 3:34 PM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    Silicone seems like a bit much, but bed stiffeners are a great idea to keep the bed from spreading.

3. Oct 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    You need to either foam tape or silicone in the upper parts of the forward bed corners under the plastic rail caps. Also, is the top of the forward metal rail cap even with the top of the side caps? If not, you have to adjust it to match. Lastly, make sure your bed is aligned with the cab. Done and all Ok? Put that shell on and enjoy!

By the way- if you drive dry dusty roads a lot, you might want to put some foam weather stripping around your tailgate (either on the door or bed sides) where they meet where gaps are, and also on the holes where the rear cubby doors fit to help with dust control back there.

4. Oct 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM
    thumpper

thumpper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    I didn't do any of that and I've ran a shell on this truck and my 08 taco too. I will say once it is installed get inside of it and look at where you can seal it up around the tailgate. (weather stripping etc.)
    What I did was get some gorilla extra wide black tape and run a LONG stretch of tape covering up the gap between the tailgate and the bed of the truck. You can use duct tape but you have to double it up to span that gap. I also removed the 'doors' in my compartments in the back and put tape over those holes too. (top and bottom) After you do this you can't use the doors anymore though. (no biggie for me) I also used tape where he used silicone in the back in that small gap there too.

Another thing I did on my last truck (since it is black) I used some electrical tape and put it on the paint where the glass shell door came down onto the bet of the truck. (I did it on my 08 need to double check to see if I did it on the 17 too)

the bummer part with the light which he failed to mention is the 90% that who ever installs it the light will ONLY work when you have the headlights on. They don't run a separate power wire back there for the light that is in the camper shell. That is a downer in my opinion but a battery powered stickup light works great. That's the only thing that comes to mind with mine.

My 08 had a leer and now my 17 has a leer. (went with leer because of price and some rebates they had and they are more popular in my area)

Products Discussed in

To Top