1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prerunner shakes a lot when I apply breaks.. what for?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by prerunnerSD, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    This is a new phenomenon with my truck..

Recently went on a long road trip and towards the end the truck and steering wheel started to shake a lot when i applied the breaks at 60+ mph speeds, but at slower city speeds the truck doesnt shake, before I left for my road trip I added new ceramic pads

Was wondering if this is because of warped rotors or bad steering wheel bushings

2. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    start off with brakes. Have them cut, and put in a new set of pads. You should be good to go. If not, have the rear drums cut also and adjust the rear shoes.

3. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Did you have a panic stop? Sometimes it only takes one to warp em.

4. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Yep sounds like your breaks might be warped.

5. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    What on my breaks are warped and what should I do about this?

6. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Sounds like warped rotors.

Take your truck to a reputable tire shop and see if they turn/resurface rotors. Usually this is pretty inexpensive.

7. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    x1

8. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    yes your rotors are warped and yes they need to be turned and possibly replaced. I hesitate to recommend ceramic as they are very hard and do not grab as well as the semi-metallic that come factory. This also tends to add to the overheated rotor issue.

9. Nov 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    A lot of good info to troubleshoot your problem. Hope its an easy and inexpensive fix.

10. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    warped rotors is the big thing with mine.... and i could have them re surfaced for $129(plus tax), or buy some performance rotors on ebay for $150(Free shipping coupon).....i chose brand new rotors, and 2 hours of my time to change them myself.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    i had the exact same problems u have. my steering wheel shook like crazy when i hit the brakes. turns out i had extremely warped rotors and almost no brakes

12. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

WHAT???!!! i had my rotors resurfaced at a local machineshop and it cost me $12 per rotor and they were super smooth (smoother than stock)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    Cold water on warm or hot brake rotors will warp them real fast and get the issue you speak of. Most people dont think about it when they drive their truck to the wash shop and they are all heated up. whats the first thing they do to the truck, put water on them... wala.

14. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    happened to me coming down I70 through the rockies in an overloaded Penske rental truck. Down shifting wanst cutting it so i had to ride the brakes, as little as possible doing the old trucker trick to stab for a few seconds and release to let them cool. In low gear you wouldnt gain speed as quick. But about halfway down those breaks were getting a workout, no vibes because i wouldnt let them get too hot. All of a sudden it started pouring rain and the next time i hit the brakes it shook so bad it was pretty much uncontrallable and almost ripped the wheel out of my hands. The vibrations caused the truck to sway and the car trailer i was towing started swaying like a biotch. If not for the CDL class B training i woulda been dead...

Sorry for the book, back to OP water on hot brakes=warpage

Products Discussed in

To Top