1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pressing a hub from a wheel bearing - need ideas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mxpatriot, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Sep 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Cross posting this for greater exposure:

I am attempting to press out the hub from my front wheel bearing. I have a HF 20 ton press. I am at a loss for how to get this done without a custom jig. There's no way to support the bearing (very thin lip / areas to support by) while keeping the whole assembly high enough for the hub to have room to be pressed out.

Any tips, before I return the bearing and order a fully assembly from Bama here on the forums?

2. Sep 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I really have no idea - but maybe you could get a clue from looking at video on Bama and the NJ guy that does this - also search youtube & google. I've done a lot of things I had no idea how to do by watching youtube. Good luck. BTW how much are you really going to save after you buy all the parts they give you for $175 - and all you have to do slap it on ?

Toy4me likes this.
  3. Sep 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    DEMikey

DEMikey Mr. Badwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    mikey
    delaware
    Vehicle:
    2013 red taco
    100XR, OTW Surf Rod Rack, Toytec 3" lift, +1 on tires
  4. Sep 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Not really about the savings as much as the time. If I can't get this done myself, I'm looking at a week for an assembly from Bama to get here (Alaska).

Plus I just like to keep expanding the window of what I can do myself.

5. Sep 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    + a commonly found 20% coupon.... done deal.

EDIT - though.... i dunno how many HF's there are in alaska....

6. Sep 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    I too have HF 20 ton press. I used two half inch plates my neighbor cut at his welding shop. They are about 5"X10". I supported them with half inch sockets. The plates slide in between bearing and bolts. After you push out the hub, you then have to cut the race left behind on the hub. Having gone through that, I recommend you buy a combo hub and bearing and install that; you can then later work on the OEM hub and prep it to swap the other side or have it ready as a backup.

I installed a Precision bearing ($50) on OEM hub on passenger side about two years ago. Went with Dorman hub ($26) and Dura bearing ($40) on driver side last year. Bearings/hub are holding up well. I now have an OEM hub to prep as I suggested. But, take a look at the Dura hub/bearing combo offered by RockAuto, for some $78; comes with an axle nut.

BTW, I have a bearing splitter, Sunnex 52BS, but it is a rather small one and it did not look like it would handle my press because the contact points are not evenly distributed on the splitter. A larger 9" inch splitter may do.

Products Discussed in

To Top