1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preventative measures for failure of secondary air pump

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hexnutter, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Nov 17, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    hexnutter

hexnutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Really they did this?, of course like frame recall I dont qualify for that. Moisture in an unlubricated valve causing failure is no surprise. Seals brake down, steel and aluminum become one. The valve only operates once in a use so in a period of 10 years using it a couple of times a day thats only 7,000 times the valve operates.

Maybe reprograming the the ecu to purge the valve at turnoff might be the best preventative maintenance? Seems like a really easy precautionary measure.

I was thinking of making a splash shield with this carbon fiber plate I have kicking around, put one under and in front of filter. One thing people dont seem to talk about with this mod is the fact that now you expose the filter directly into the engine bay. I dont have a cover like in the video posted before. But now Im concerned about water getting sucked into the filter, maybe running over big puddle.

2. Nov 17, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Youll never get that much water in the engine bay. But if youre worried about it you can buy the plastic cover piece from a member on here no longer using theirs. Believe it will fit over the uni-filter with minimal trimming.

The only time Ive had issues is after hosing down the engine bay and forgetting to dry the uni-filter off before starting the truck.

Edit: Not saying Ive had an actual issue yet because I havent. But did make myself cringe as soon as I started it up and heard the pump running. Knew whatever water was on the filter just got sucked in.

3. Oct 12, 2022 at 11:42 AM
    hewitt-tech

hewitt-tech Dont Replace SAIS, Bypass It!

Member:
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
    The Air Filter is definitely the step in preventing this issue. I wanted to provide a few other resources on the failure prone Secondary Air Injection System. The question is not "If" it will fail but "When" it will fail. If you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out, DM or give us a call.

What Does the Secondary Air Injection System Do?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/what-does-the-secondary-air-injection-system-do.780847/

What Do My Secondary Air Injection Error Codes Mean?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/what-do-my-secondary-air-injection-error-codes-mean.780848/

How to Fix Secondary Air Injection System?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-do-you-fix-the-secondary-air-injection-system.780849/

Products Discussed in

To Top