1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PRICE OF 30,000 SERVICE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JONNY TACO, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    Rhode- that's what I'd get for the cheap price of $636.LOL

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    lol exactly, these are all things you can do yourself for around $125.i change my front and rear diff fluid and the transfer case fluid every 10k or so and it costs me approx. $40. add an air filter-$17 toyota oil filter-$6 and oil(mobil1)-$35 spark plugs-$24.....

3. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Endurozw

Endurozw War Damn Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC SR5 w/ tow package
    Fold-a-cover G4 - Wranger Duratrac 265/75/16 Audio Upgrades: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD / JL Audio HD600/4 amp / Hybrid Audio 6.5 Clarus up front / Arc Audio 10 in subwoofer
    I'm glad I saw this thread before I dropped my truck off for this service lol...I wouldn't even pay half of that for this service. Ridiculous. DIY via Chris4x4 printed, hopefully the process is as easy at it looks.

4. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    FOUR X FOUR DUDE.

FOUR X FOUR DUDE. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Mountain Center, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    TRD wheels, BFG tires, factory installed option.
    You think that's bad, my girlfriend pays just over $200 for her Lexus service, which is oil change and tire rotation, plus they "check everything". Always try to upsell alignment for $100. Can you say "rip-off"?

5. Sep 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Not sure if my 30k service was that high from dealership service dept but I think it was close. Had coupon and rewards points that brought it down within reason. I have the dealer do maintenance so I don't f up the lifetime warranty they are giving on the engine and drive train. Besides the I can't do the oil change for their $$ and I don't have a garage anymore.
    It's a bitch working on cars in the street.

:rain:

6. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    tommyxv

tommyxv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Sry for bumping an old thread. I'm sitting in the dealership now waiting for the 30k service to get done. The cost is $275 which includes synthetic oil. Not bad IMO.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    That's cheap what all are they replacing, oil and air filter only?

8. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Psht, 30k on spark plugs my ass. I just changed mine for the first time at 170k!

9. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    tommyxv

tommyxv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Replacing plugs and inspecting brakes, rotate tires, and a list if other things. I'll take a pic of the service invoice when I get home.

10. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    images_7420205761d255aeaecd21069e93fcd5a1d66147.jpg

11. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Hbr01

Hbr01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DBC 4x4
    I called a big dealership here in Jacksonville, FL and asked them about 30k service and whats included and price. Price was something like $175 and it consisted of:
    Oil and Filter Change
    Air Filter Change
    Tire Rotation
    Cabin Air Filter
    and multi point inspection. I took it in and needed none of the above and asked for the 30K service and front end alignement. Took them 3 hours and cost $100 out the door (basically I paid for a front end alignment and got a free "multi point inspection" :rolleyes:

None of the other stuff listed on the actual maint card in the truck was available/"required". I told her I wanted the drive shafts greased and she said it was not required any more... I was like thats odd, u-Joints dont need grease? Needless to say I will not be going back to that dealer for service any more. I do have other options though we have about 5 Toyota Dealerships in town.

This is the same dealer that gives you a lifetime warranty on new vehicles purchased from them. She asked if this was service for the lifetime warranty or just "regular" service. My spidy sense tells me something shady is going on and they are probably actually performing the service on the lifetime warranty vehicles they have money vested in and skimping on the service on used vehicles and from vehicles purchased other places.

12. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    100 bucks for an alignment and quick inspect is cheap, as a tech I wouldn give your truck more then 5 minutes as you specified what you wanted. Not gonna waste my time looking for up sales when you aren't gonna spend the coin.

Our U-Joints are not greasable, at least on the 5lug shaft they are not.

As for the service, sounds like the lifetime warranty gets a different service then a regular 30k service. Nothing shady about that.

13. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    jimbo33l

jimbo33l Tacodile.... Supreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4

How is it not shady that the (lifetime warranty) 30k service is different than the 30k service? No matter what warranty you have what a vehicle requires at 30k is the same across the board.

And as a Tech why would you care who spends the bare minimum vs someone who pays 80 dollars for a "fuel injector cleaning" (can of sea foam) from the dealer. I would think you would want to do you best work on any vehicle that is put in front of you, especially one that the owner has taken the time and cares enough to specifically request something be looked into?

Not trying to be a dick just saying it should be the same across the board

14. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    It is not the same across the board when you pay extra for it. Sure there is the base 30k but if I paid extra for a lifetime warranty I expect to get a little more then the guy that didn. That's why there is first class and coach on a plane. We all ride the same plane, some of us choose to spend less and deal with more while other pay more and deal with less.;)

As for caring whether or not a customer wants to spend money on his vehicle while at the dealer. I am not going to take the time to look over someones car when they clearly don't want to spend the money. I get paid by the hours the adviser sells. If he thinks the sell is not worth it I aint wasting my time. I can move onto the next car to review for up sells so that I can make money. Just because I didn write down or review your vehicle to the same detail as a client that is known/shows signs of spending money does not mean I put any less effort into ensuring the repair of your vehicle.

15. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Isn't the 30,000 service still included in the Toyota Care 3 year/30,000 free service deal?

16. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    Hbr01

Hbr01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DBC 4x4
    It might not be shady but a Toyota Dealership should at least know what is actually covered on a 30k service for a Tacoma and offer all of it, and let the customer make the choice if they want that service performed or not. It was like a one size fits all service.

They said nothing and documented nothing about performing the torque on the propeller shaft nut, greasing the propeller shaft or replacing the plugs.

My main concern with it is for warranty issues if any pop up.

17. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    That would all be written in the story that the tech writes about servicing your vehicle when looking to get paid for said warranty work. Which the customer does not see unless asked for.

18. Feb 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    jimbo33l

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4
    I'm sorry but this is why people that have the ability and know better don't get dealer service done anymore. Same as when I brought my ram in for service and they wanted 50 dollars to replace a 19 dollar air filter. I'm not saying qualified techs are not masters of their craft as I am sure you are I'm just saying going to the dealer is like playing Russian roulette with your vehicle.

19. Feb 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Sounds like you're a cheap ass and expect everything for free. Air filter replace charges .2-.5 of an hour at a rate of 110-120/ hour depending on the dealer. You can do the math from there. Then again why would you have someone do it if you know how to do it? Only reason I would have someone do something for me are one of three reasons

A)disposable income
    B)I dont know how to do it
    C)I was not able to figure out how to do it.

20. Feb 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    jimbo33l

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Baytown, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 DC Off Rd 4x4
    I don't remeber insulting you... However I am not a cheap ass, I simply told them no thank you. This was during the 2nd oil change on a new vehicle. I usually let the dealer do the first 1 or 2 that way my cell phone doesn't get 37 calls from the service department. I understand the ".2" hours being charged but for crying out loud it was 2 clips and done. So yes I ordered a case of stock filters online and did all future service myself. But I'm done de-railing this thread I'm not gonna argue about what I'm willing to pay for. Sorry OP

Products Discussed in

To Top