1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

problem shifting

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by paulmars, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    paulmars

paulmars [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    2003 2rz-fe 5 speed, 44k miles. single owner. Driving the other day and gears ground letting out the clutch up shifting to 2nd. Since them almost every time, going into 2nd and 75% of the time going into 4th, it grinds. I need to press the clutch and take her back to neutral and pull hard and she goes into 2nd and 4th. If I dont make a point of pulling hard and fast to 2nd or 4th, then the shifter stops in what feels like the gear, however, letting out the clutch and she grinds. This came on all of a sudden, not gradual at all. She always shifted fine until this started a few days ago. If I forget and use std shifting force, like I have used on thus truck since I
    bough it new in 2003, it grinds. If I then push in the clutch and pull harder, it dont go any further and she will grind again. I need to bring her back to neutral and pull hard and fast and she seats in the gears properly.

I can go directly from gear 1 to 2 and 3 to 4, as long as I pull hard and fast.

Fluid level is fine.

Ideas?

>paul

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    paulmars

Member:
    more info

2wd. Everything looks ok underneath and in/on the console. Putting her in 1st or 2nd and holding in the clutch for 2 minutes was ok, and I then had to release the clutch a few inches before I heard the engine show and she start to move. Problem did not start this morning until she was warned up. However that might just be this once, Next few days I'll see if its consistently just when warmed up.

Clutch and transs fluid levels are fine. clutch is 6 1/4" off the floor and play is 1/2 to 5/8"

Not hard on the clutch. 100% road driving, no off road, no mud, no salt, In Florida.

Maintenance schedule never mentions replacing brake or clutch fl and I never have. Maybe I should.

3. Feb 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    paulmars

Member:
    fyi fixed here

Products Discussed in

To Top