1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems Starting At Times, Any help?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GoPreds, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    GoPreds

GoPreds [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'm still new to this fourm and have had my Taco for about a year. But my question or advise would be helpful. At times I have problems starting, it doesn't happen all the time just at random times. I would start it up and it would shut off right away until I start it up again then it'll go. The other day I started it and it kept turning but not starting until I tunred off the ignition and gave it another go, started right up. I thought it would be either spark plugs or ignition coil but it only has 30,000 miles. I asked the dealership if it was normal and they said no but they said it might be my TRD intake manifold. Any others have this type of problem or what it could be? Thanks

2. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    How many miles on the truck? If it cranks but doesn't start, it has to be 1 of 3 things...fuel, air, or spark. I'd check spark plugs and ignition coil, air intake, and fuel pump/filter.

If you have a habit of running your tank down to the last drop, the fuel filter can get clogged with all kinds of crap at the bottom of your tank. It might cause the pump to need to prime for longer to get the correct amount of fuel to the engine.

Just my guess...good luck and welcome to TW!

3. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    GoPreds

Member:
    Thanks man. Yea it only has 30,000 miles on it. I'm picky on fuel I usually fill it up right when it passes half a tank and been putting no ethanol gas mid grade. I've been wanting to check the spark plugs but haven't had the time to look at them, but if it has only 30,000 miles on it I wouldn't think it was the spark plugs but who knows. I checked the filter and cleaned it about 2 months ago, you think it could be the TRD intake manifold?

4. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I get the same thing sometimes.

My thoughts are: The computer sometimes needs a sec to read the key... Sometimes I've had to hit the gas to make it fire. For what its worth, I seem to notice the problem moreso with a big change in temps or the weather? Weird I know, there was a recall on the 07s, but the 08s+ they say no problem. knock on wood it doesn't get worse

5. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    It's not just your truck...mine does it too. I had Toyota check it and they came back with nothing. It happens on my Dad's Xterra too (just on one certain key). Best I can tell, it's the key failing to communicate with the computer randomly, and all I can do is pull it out, put it back in, and try again.

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    GoPreds

Member:
    (Knock on wood) Yea that was another thing I was thinking about weather wise. It started doing it during winter, but we really didn't have a winter this year in TN. And it was pretty hot over here the other day when it did it again.

7. Jun 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    GoPreds

Member:
    Oh I see, so it's probably just the key trying to communicate with the computer, makes sense. I'm still trying to get use to the new cars and trucks technology. Been driving a 94 honda for a long time and finally got enough money saved up to buy a truck. Thanks for the reply.

8. Jun 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    textoy

textoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    my '11 only has 10k miles and has been doing that intermittantly from the get-go. seems to do it mostly when it has been parked for several hours at work where it sits with the front slightly uphill. It starts and immediately dies. then starts and runs with no problem. no point in taking it in till it won't start at all.

9. Jun 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Long starting issues have been a problem since 05'. There also was a TSB out for this problem. Each year the new model comes out and this seems to be a common issue with the 4.0 V6.

10. Jun 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    :rolleyes:
    My 07' did the same thing, especially on my inclined driveway.

There are a lot of posts about this and I think the fuel pump had a lot to do with it. The filters would clog up early before 30,000 miles. This actually happens to a lot of vehicles with this fuel pump design where the filter and pump are one unit and sit in the gas tank. I've heard this from a few technicians that if possible never let you tank go below 1/4.

Could be the key and the computer and what not, who knows.:rolleyes:

11. Jun 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    GoPreds

Member:
    Very valid points. It looks like it's a normal thing for the 4.0 V6's to do. I wasn't quite sure since I've only had it for a year. It's weird how they set up the fuel filter, I'm not looking forward to the day of replacing it lol. Do you think adding a fuel additive like Heet or Gumout help the filter since it's inside the tank?

12. Jun 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    Amo-cat3

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    Heet might work if there is water in your fuel, but ethanol does the same thing and that's already in your gas (unless your running ethanol free). Gumout will help keep the fuel system clean I'm sure but never know about the fuel filter. If you do have fuel pump issues and need to change it get the upgrade kit from URD. This way you have a stronger pump and an external fuel filter you can change without having to drop the tank. There are a few threads about the fuel pump upgrade. Try a search and you'll find a whole new ball game to your tacoma.

13. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    GoPreds

Member:
    Good to know, I'll keep that upgrade in mind. Thanks for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top