1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with ski rack adapter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cntstan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I bought a ski holder for my roof rack and am having trouble mounting it. The adapters that you need to fix the ski holders to the roof rack crossmembers do not even come close to fitting. I've taken it back to the dealer and they tell me that these are the only adapters that they can find for this application. They have offered to take them back but I wanted to just give it a quick run by you guys and see if anyone else has dealt with this same problem. Are there different adapters for the 2nd gen. roof racks? Here are the part numbers and some pics:
    Roof Rack: PT278-35050
    Ski Rack: PT278-89062
    Adapter: PT278-89061

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The threaded rod that is supposed to flip up and latch is already threaded out as far as it can go, it's like the crossmember bar is too large for the adapter to fit. Thanks to anyone who can help!!!!

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    In the last pic it appears as though the bracket is not moved forward all the way on the crossbar. The rubber non-slip bushing looks like it isn't seated properly, causing it to not allow it to be fastened......Try removing the rubber section and check it for fit. If it works, re-install the rubber and ensure its in correctly.

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    biborado

biborado Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Does that black plastic bushing in between the clamp and the crossmember come off? Try flipping that around and see if that matches up better with the curvature of the crossmember.

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    I have a Yakima roof rack and I know this is gonna seen kind of "African Americanish," but I got some thick zip ties and tied it down to my factory roof rack bars. The attachment pieces for my set up was like $40 so I thought I could do it for way cheaper. I have the rack that holds 4 boards or 6 skis and have traveled over 8 hours on the highway (about 80mph) with 4 boards and no problems at all.

5. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I stopped by Toyota today and had one of their "master techs" take a look at it. He was just as stumped as me and we tried every which way to get that adapter to work. They even called Toyota directly and they said just to refund my money and that they were aware of the "fitment issues" and that there was no fix for it :confused:. I didn't feel like making an issue out of it (even though it seems completely rediculous) so I stopped at a bike shop on the way home and picked up a Yakima Powerhound ski/snowboard holder........50 bucks cheaper and it holds 4 sets of skis instead of 2. I guess it worked out for the best this way. Anyways, thanks for the input guys!!!!!

6. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    That's pretty retarded. Glad to have the long bed!

Products Discussed in

To Top