1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

prodigy brake controller - wire splicing question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by mck, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Apr 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    mck

mck [OP] Member

Member:
    I've searched thru the forums and could not seem to find this question asked or answered anywhere.

I have a Prodigy brake controller that I bought new about 3 years ago but am just getting around to installing it. I was going to spice the Prodigy plug in wires to the wires of the Toyota pigtail. I noticed that the wires of the Toyota pigtail are noticably thinner than the wires that came with the Prodigy unit. Is is ok to splice two wires of different gauge together?

Alternatively, does anyone know if two plug connector that Prodigy sells now (item number 3040P) would still work with a unit from three years ago? (The item number of my controller is 90185 and the name appears to be just "Prodigy" -- not P2 and definitely not P3.)

Thanks!

2. Apr 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Splicing two different gauges of wire is not necessarily bad. However, the smaller wire has lower current carrying capability than the heavier one. If the load presented by your brake controller is more than the fuse in the circuit, you will have problems. Changing to a larger fuse is not a good idea without replacing the lighter wire.

Products Discussed in

To Top