1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pros and cons to bolt on vs. weld on sliders

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SR54x4, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    I may be a little partial, but I think our new sliders are hands down the best offering out there, especially for a bolt-on version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We now offer industry leading .134 wall tubing, grade 8 hardware, the most ground clearance possible, countersunk bolt holes, fully gusseted, and they still have our signature "kickout" design that we originated. Plus, minimal frame drilling is required.

I tested them on some hard trails as bolt-on's and they are definately strong enough to be used as sliders. I had the full weight of the truck on them pivoting around a rock as seen here on YouTube on my white '08 Taco about 1/2 way through (thanks to John & Mel for the video) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY8_0SJ9xCM

2. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Not trying to bash you (allpro) but those gussets are pretty small and they are on only 2 legs, so by not having gussets on all 4 legs you can not say the they "are fully gusseted".

3. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    The gussets on the middle 2 legs have 3"L gussets, so they're not small. And the 2 outer legs now have gussets on them as well, but they are smaller due to spacial constraints.

4. Dec 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    From the second picture you post, it looks like the is no room for even a small gusset on the outer 2 legs. And about the 2 middle L gussets is that and L gusset is not nearly as strong as standard gusset is (triangle). So I guess what I should ask is: why would you make those gussets in a L shape, well knowing that they are not nearly asa strong as a standard gusset?

5. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    We've been selling rock sliders for nearly 15 years now with "boomerang" shaped gussets, we are talking thousands of sets, and our gussets have never failed.

6. Dec 8, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    I'm looking forward to getting a set of AllPros. I've been patiently waiting for the next batch. I will say, I do like the CBI product too. In fact I think they all pass the quality test and all look pretty good. I think it's a preference thing at this point. I like the clean look of the AllPro product.

RZ Rob

7. Dec 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I would have to say Weld on. I got my SLiders from East Coast Gear SUpply.

8. Dec 9, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Dec 9, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I would probably go with bolt on. Just because they can be easily replaced if they get "jacked up".
    Both (depending on design) are equal in function.
    Yes you can argue that drilling the holes may weaken the frame? But welding (heating) the frame will also weaken the frame. Either make it softer, or more brittle, depending on the cooling.

But either way? Both will be better than NO sliders. I really doubt anyone of us would drive like an "ass hat" and beat the crap out of the sliders. "thread lightly"

Good luck!

10. Dec 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    2011TacoSport4x4

2011TacoSport4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4 OME 3" lift
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    I just ordered the all-pro bolt ons, They have been around for years and sold many sets. So I trust the All-pro will do the job just fine. I have actually seen the all-pro bolt on sliders in action a few years ago. I saw 3 toyota 4 runners running bolt on All-pro's on a sierra trek run and they were holding up fine! Scratches in the paint, couple small nicks, but nothing bent, and better yet...no body damage!

Products Discussed in

To Top