1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PSA: Post lift alignment and dealer alignment issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Stocklocker, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Hey,

Just a quick Public Service Announcement post as I see some fellas struggle with an issue similar to what I had. After my lift, which included an alignment, my truck would pull to one side. I paid the dealership a nominal fee during a routine visit to check the alignment and as was told “within spec”. No help there, and no help from the shop that lifted my truck either (they had also told me “within spec / all green boxes” on the computer”).

I eventually found help at an alignment shop, and for a reasonable fee, my truck has driven straight as an arrow ever since. Wished I didn’t have to spend any money on this, but sometimes you just gotta fork out for good help

Here is the issue: Toyota dealers, most tire shops, and most generic auto shops that do alignments only as an aside or afterthought do not consider the rear axle on a Tacoma. Although their machine may measure rear axle thrust angle, it is “greyed-out” in their software as it is considered fixed-in-place. The machine does not offer the mechanic a corrective measure to perform. This is true at my Toyota dealer, which does everything exactly to the Toyota rulebook. The rear axle is not a even given a “green” or “red” value as it is considered set-in-stone.

Regarding rear thrust angle: although you would think those centering pins in the leaf-packs would perfectly center your rear axle when you swap leaf packs or add-a-leaf, or even when the truck is built, they don’t. They are pretty loosey-goosey. This allows you, or your mechanic, to reinstall the rear axle at a very slight angle. Toyota probably has a jig to minimize this effect at the factory, but even they don’t get it perfect.

Regarding what often happens: If your rear thrust angle is off, the front adjustments are used to account for it, or it is simply left out-of-whack by your dealership service department, or mechanic because their fancy software cannot tell them how many hammer blows to apply to correct it. They tell you “all green boxes” and send you packing.

My truck suffered from a pull after I had a leaf added. When I eventually took the truck to an alignment shop (a place that specializes in frame straightening, front end work etc), they agreed the truck pulled, and the solution was to correct the rear thrust angle (which I believe involved loosening off the rear u-bolts and some judicious hammering).

Anyways.......cost me $105.00 CDN at the time, and never had another problem. Saved me double that in annoyance and maybe tire wear.

Just wanted to share this experience if it’s helpful to any noobs here. I’m sure many old salts know this already, but I suffered a run-around at the time as I just didn’t know better.

Cheers all.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    heybronicetacoma

heybronicetacoma Meat Popsicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Claro
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 DCSB MT OR SSM
    Mods? Yes.

3. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rear thrust lines can be adjusted, but often where they are is where they want to sit, and will recenter there. I hate touching ubolts unless I truly have to. Overtightening them to hold it in place is not always the solution.

What city are you in?

whatstcp likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Well.....I drove to the Arctic Ocean and back during the worst pot-holed Dempster conditions in decades, on the alignment they gave me, and it didn’t drift back or change. They were good guys. Even saw them use a torque wrench on the u-bolts, so I’m thinking there is a way to do it right.

Big tall dave, 71tattooguy and AKGSD like this.
  5. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I get it, but I'm just saying the ubolts are not meant to be loosened and readjusted over and over. Once after a lift is fine but its very very rare.

Also regarding the centering pins, there is very little adjustment, so you'd be flexing it to fix the thrust line, then using the u bolts to ensure it doesn't relax into the wrong position. The leafs want to sit on the axle in one spot, it's not a tie rod end.

You are right, some techs see the green in the front and ignore the rear readings. But there's loads of Toyota dealers with techs that do lifted trucks and have lots of experience.

6. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Another PSA

Always get a printout of the alignment.

"In the Green" does not mean it will drive good as you found out.

7. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Yeah good point. My dealer did give me a printout. I’ll see if I can dig it up somewhere. It’s been over a year since I dealt with this, so don’t have all the paperwork on hand. Just relating an experience in case it’s helpful.

8. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    My best guess is the guys who lifted the truck were probably the ones who torqued the axle down out-of-whack for whatever reason. For all I know, the alignment shop simply loosened the assembly off to let it settle back into its preference location. Either way, the rear axle is what needed adjustment.

9. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    GillyLink

GillyLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off-road DCSB AT
    Still stock completely capable!
    Awesome write up @Stocklocker! Yea that’s so true 99% of places would never consider the rear! Glad you posted this as my truck drives strait as an arrow right now and I would hate to lose this when I lift mine soon! Another great post!

10. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:17 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    :cheers: Cheers! Stay well.

GillyLink[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top