1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PSA: Question the sales guy about the scope of work your truck needs before you give them a sale

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by HaveDogWillTravel, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    PS78

PS78 I like beer, I brew beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    to many to list, check the build thread
    OP: depending on when you installed the lift you would want the coils to settle a little before alignment anyways, thats not to say you should put 1K miles on the new tires before that happens but you could get tires installed if your lift is already installed, then call the dealership and schedule an appointment to get all seized items replaced / alignment after your trip.

2. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:24 PM
    HaveDogWillTravel

HaveDogWillTravel [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    I asked the guys at 4 Wheel parts about installing the tires anyway without the alignment and they were in agreement with toytec that I shouldn't do it. I still have probably 700 miles of driving before I'm home. That's what turned this from a minor annoyance into a big hassle, now I have to figure out what to do with this set of 5 tires if I can't get them installed yet. I already cancelled the appointment to have them installed today though so I guess that's out.

Justanotherhemi likes this.
  3. Jul 2, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    bijan

bijan New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Call Advanced Automotive in Golden if you need mechanic work or tires done
    (303) 278-3704

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    Lux

Lux @jamesgrouss

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma sr5 4x4
    OME 3" lift 881 coils, Dakar's 33" General Grabber AT2's TG low profile front bumper
    Now I know I'm an idiot, but I had my tires put on with a lift (including TC UCA's) and never got an alignment. Its a bit squirrely, and the tires wear slightly uneven, but I personally think you can live without an alignment for a short time at least.

5. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    When i had my 07 Tacoma i took it in to the Toyota dealership for an alignment. At the time it was only about 3 years old. Found out that the lower cam was seized and they could not perform the alignment. Ended up having them order a new OEM lower control arm and cams, cut the existing LCA out and install new before the alignment could be completed. Being a dealership they had the parts in stock. In order to fit me into their schedule they kept my truck for around a week and cost me $$$$$$.

Definitely not something you are going to get done from anyone within a 1hr scheduled alignment. Not sure why you are upset with Toytec over this. There is nothing they could do within your time slot when they discovered the seized parts. All other shops would have told you they could not perform the alignment due to seized parts.

Im sure if you call them and discuss they could order the new parts, cut out old parts and install new parts to get the alignment done properly.
    All other shops would have had to reschedule the work to be completed to order parts and fit the work within their schedule.

6. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    I got new wheels and tires install as well as the alignment completed at Toytec on my Tundra. Installation was quick, wheel balance was right on and alignment was perfect. Rides amazing.
    They know Toyotas and know how to align Toyotas with lifts.

7. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    As my Dad used to say "what in thee hell is going on in here"

:popcorn:

YamaDirtrider likes this.
  8. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Wait what. Who are you? I’ve never seen you around.

9. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Some Tundra dude :D, in order to be a MOD you can't own a Tacoma or something like that.

10. Jul 2, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    HaveDogWillTravel

HaveDogWillTravel [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    After getting an estimate from another shop, the cost to fix everything I need fixed just in order to get an alignment is substantially out of my budget for now.

Knowing what I know now, I can't fault the service department for passing on that amount of work, however if any of this had been brought to my attention when I was buying the parts, or when I requested an estimate for an alignment, I would've held off on the purchase, as this additional work literally doubled the cost. To be honest I was expecting more than an hour of labor and expected to pay more like 3-4 hours. But I never could've imagined just to get it aligned, doing the install myself, would be such a substantial amount of work. I think some of the blame for that falls on toytec, since I'm now pretty sure the sales guy didn't even consult with the service department and instead quoted a figure that probably only applies to like-new trucks. (It sounds like seized parts are pretty typical on toyotas.)

Luckily the truck isn't my daily driver. I'll still be able to enjoy my vacation, and it's not a big deal if it's out of alignment while it sits in my driveway. It's a major bummer though considering how much I just spent on tires that I won't even be able to use for a while, when that money should've gone towards getting an alignment. Even more frustrating, the week after I installed the lift, the truck was hit with baseball sized hail that broke the windshield, left some nasty dents, and put a hole in my topper. So you can see how this project is spiraling out of control as I'm pricing out new windshields and fiberglass patching as well. But my frustration was misplaced.

I'm still not happy with Toytec's sales practices, but I apologize for initially placing the blame on their service department. They did what any other shop probably would've done. Although other estimates I got did include some labor and parts $$ on the assumption that there would be *some* seized parts, my truck is worse than average and needs a lot of stuff replaced. So it looks like I'm gonna be learning a lot about steering components and seeing if some of this is stuff I can handle myself. Probably gonna be making some new threads asking some stupid questions in the near future.

Thanks everybody for your input. Now I'm off to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    honda50r and CO MTN Steve like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top