1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pure hp question .newb

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by emacpgh, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jul 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    emacpgh

emacpgh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    silver streak mica sr5 sport
    Aries stainless steel bull bar , afe pro dry s filter , secondary air filter removal, scangauge II
    first off , love this truck. love the mpg, the look and feel, etc. i am completely stock right now (09 4 banger acess cab manual sr5) and wanted to know what i can do with the exhaust for performance. im not interested in sound, just hp , torque, and mpg. also is a maf worth the money if exhaust is all i mod. also plan ongetting 265 tires in the future. i have never had a vehicle worth giving a crap about so i am real newb, however i do mechanic work (im a millwright, our bread and butter is turbine engines in powerplants). prob wont end with just exhaust, like most on this site i am pretty obsessive with this sort of thing.

2. Jul 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    For real gains in HP/Torque- Start saving money and get a good supercharger with a tuning programmer.

Then you can get the right exhaust for that set up...and build from there. If you start small now- You will end up redoing a LOT of small things once you get to that point.

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    emacpgh

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Aries stainless steel bull bar , afe pro dry s filter , secondary air filter removal, scangauge II
    thanks, but not looking to supercharge or turbo. its a 4 banger, just trying to juice it up a bit. cat back,? headers ? not into cai or anything like that.

4. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    header and an exhaust. jardine or a magnaflow will work

5. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You probably won't see any amazing gains (4-8 HP) off an exhaust. Todays ECUs/engines are smart and manage it all pretty well as is.

Best bang for the buck is put in a higher flow muffler on the stock piping (Dynomax has had good results iirc).

6. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    emacpgh

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    cool, dynomax muffler alone would help?even without headers or cat b?

7. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I think a aftermarket muffler is a good idea, but also don't forget a after market cold air intake could possibly help you out with some more hp. :cool:

8. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    emacpgh

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    what about maf ? other sites have people who believe they are a must on a 4 cyl. are they good for a stock or are they more for a truck with lots of mods?

9. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Cat backs are just systems with upgraded piping and a muffler all built together. The stock piping in these trucks isn't too bad...so just putting a better muffler in is a pretty solid improvement.

Headers will help with the sound and a bit with performance- but these engines are pretty well built to move air...so letting them breathe doesn't always make them monster power plants.

And a CAI or a better flowing filter (AFE Pro Dry or a TRD or URD CAI) will help a bit.

But again- The noise and maybe some throttle response will make your butt dyno go wild- but really only gain 8-10 HP MAX (and that is probably stretching it for average gains)

The MAf Calibrator will help get a bit more out of the engine. A tool like the APR X-1 (if something for the 4-banger exists) would be better- MOre functions and control to improve the fuel mapping....but every little bit helps. You just have to decide how much you want to spend and how much you want to gain.

10. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I don't know a lot about maf's, but I have seen some companies guarantee
    hp gains of about 5-10. I really don't know if that is true data or if they are selling snake oil. You could try to do some research on it or maybe someone else would like to chime in. I don't think it would be worth it though.

11. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    emacpgh

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    thans guys, let you know how it goes,

12. Jul 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    militaco

militaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, '99 Regular Cab
    If you don't really care about the noise, i doubt that the exhaust, CAI, or header will be enough to satisfy what you are looking for....if you are looking for true performance you need forced induction. i know you said that's not what you want, or trade for a v6. But then you give up gas mileage......congrats on your new truck.....watch your wallet, this site is painful :D

13. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
  14. Jul 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    Yea I noticed the headers are not listed on their website either but they do have them. With DT headers, a nice exhaust and a CAI you will notice the improved hp. It should be more than a 10hp gain.

15. Jul 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Anybody actually dyno a before & after with the DT headers? I am always skeptical when it comes to anyone's ads...

16. Jul 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    Find the member Gadget on customtacos.com. They have dyno several tacomas and he owns a taco with DT headers. Good man to talk to.

Products Discussed in

To Top