1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purpose of transparent plastic sheet between door and door panel?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by crackedmirror, May 2, 2021.

1. May 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    crackedmirror

crackedmirror [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I have a 1st gen. The sheet and the black goo holding it is worn down. What happens if I reinstall door panel without this sheet?

2. May 2, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    I'm pretty sure that it's meant to keep out moisture that makes it past the window seals from getting onto the back of the door panel. FWIW, companies have been doing this for a long time, my '70 VW bus had the same thing on the inside. I used a contractor's trash bag and new black goo on that project. I forget what the black goo was called but they had it at my local small hardware store in the same area as butyl tape, it came on a roll. Haven't seen it at a big box store, but I haven't looked for it there either.

PzTank likes this.
  3. May 2, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I’ve always wondered the same thing. Maybe some combination of a moisture + sound barrier? But not a very substantial one in either case and it’s easily destroyed if you mess with it. So maybe it’s not a critical component?

We used a thick trash bag to replace it on the tailgate of a truck we had awhile back. And just stuck it on with the residual goop. It stuck well in some places, in other places not so much. We just rolled with it.

4. May 2, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Moisture barrier. Definitely want to keep it.

4x4_Off_Road likes this.
  5. May 3, 2021 at 2:52 AM
    2013XSPX

2013XSPX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper
    I took all mine off when I did sound deadening and thermal insulation. Do you think you still need it after putting that stuff on?

6. May 3, 2021 at 3:30 AM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    Its to keep water from getting into the vehicle.
    Its impossible to completely waterproof the window and some rain water is going to get between the weather stripping and window into the door, this sheet basically makes the door a contained structure so that the water can only go down and out the drains at the bottom of the door, without it there is a gaping hole the water can get into the car through.
    It also helps as a noise barrier, I know it doesn't seem like much but if its missing you can really hear the air rushing by the door going above say 40mph.
    On the point that its not very strong you have to remember nothing is pushing on it with any real force, there is a sheet metal door on one side and an entire vehicle on the other side, the most force it sees is water trickling down it so it doesn't need to be beefy.
    I do not know if its needed after sound proofing the door because I have never bothered to look into doing that.
    If you need to reseal it butle tape would work very well, a little permanent but definitely gives a strong seal.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    2013XSPX likes this.
  7. May 3, 2021 at 3:31 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    It's called a vapor barrier keeps condensation out of the cab that is caused by moisture from the rain getting into the door hollow and has a marginal effect on sound quality from the speakers by sealing the void giving them better response. Also helps in a miniscule way to reduce road noise.

I would keep it or replace ot with higher quality audio grade equivalent. That stuff is usually greenish tinted transparent.

8. May 3, 2021 at 3:35 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    It keeps the door panel dry.

Products Discussed in